superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonStrange Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:50:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Superman Breaks Loose"  (Read 49899 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2005, 02:41:48 PM »

Wow, this really is exciting!

Clear black and white line art, ready for scanning, coloring and reproduction without having to track down original art (which is rare and sometimes non-existant).

Is it just me, or does this seem like a wonderful resource for the Archives program?  Who can we talk to about pursuing this at DC, assuming Rick Keene isn't somebody's cousin who they want to guarantee work to?

And BTW, Aldous, that is a fantastic page!  Curt really gets across the idea of an oppressive downpour, and you're right that adding color almost seems like taking it over the top.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2005, 08:41:26 PM »

Quote from: "Aldous"
Here is a page from "How to Tame a Wild Volcano." The actual page is normal size, but I have had to drastically reduce the size and quality to put it here... But hopefully you can get an idea of what I mean.

Seeing this page in black & white reveals just how incredibly beautiful the Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson artwork is in this story.  Unlike the Jack Kirby stuff (which was obviously intended to be colored but was criminally reprinted in B&W by DC), it seems like the Swanderson Sand Saga work was meant to be seen this way.  Aldous, would you be willing to scan one of the installements for the site?  The bigger the better. Smiley

Also, a quick note - one of the recent upgrades I've made to the forum is that now people can include images as big as they want in their posts.  If the images are too wide, they'll automatically get shrunk down when they appear inline.  You're able to click on them and the full-size version will pop up in a new window.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2005, 03:42:49 PM »

In case you can use them, I've emailed in scans of Superman #235 and #237. I hadn't read this forum at the time I started and didn't know that Osgood was also doing #235.

I've also got #242, but it's missing the cover, and #241, but it's missing the cover and the first three or so pages. Let me know if either of these would be of any use to you.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2005, 05:15:34 PM »

242 would certainly be useful.  Just hold off sending it until I get 235-237 online, I don't want my backlog to get much longer.

I don't know about 241, unless someone else here has just those first three pages...  Smiley

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2005, 06:26:13 PM »

Cant wait to see that B&W page LARGE!!!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2005, 08:14:35 PM »

I know how you feel, but you'd better mention it to Aldous.  I'd be more than happy to add some B&W installments if he scans them.

Maybe those missing three pages to 241?

S!

Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2005, 05:35:21 AM »

Quote from: "Lee Semmens"
If anyone is interested in reading more about the Australian DC reprints here is a link (originally provided by you, I believe, Aldous):

http://www.ausreprints.com/content/

I probably have over a hundred of them myself, some dating back to the late 1940s, but personally I prefer to get the original DC comics, of which I have well over 1500. I must admit, though, that the early Aussie comics are much cheaper and easier to get than their American counterparts.

Thanks, Lee. Yes, that is the number one website for information on the Aussie black and white DC reprints.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L