superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:04:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Superman Breaks Loose"  (Read 49922 times)
jayfort
Superman Fan

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 04:44:06 AM »

This was the comic book that I started my first collection with. It was also the most read book in that collection and, alas, didn't survive. Later I sold the bulk of that collection.

This was Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson at the beginning of their very best. I agree that Denny didn't really "get" Superman but I remember being shocked at how quickly Superman's "de-powered" state vanished.

I still own a puzzle made of this cover and all 4 of my kids, at one time or another, have helped me assemble it.

I'd love to see the Sand-Superman Saga again.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 05:09:46 AM »

Quote from: "Aldous"
Well, Super Monkey, it's strange how some people on this website (and people in general) sing the praises of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" -- you mentioned it on the Krypto thread in the Metropolis Mailbag forum -- yet it is not a patch on Sand-Superman Saga. "Whatever Happened..?" is overrated, yet Superman fans (including Rao) have to apologise if they even mention Superman Breaks Loose.

To me "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" is not only NOT overrated but one of the best Superman stories ever.

Superman Breaks Loose is no where near as good, not even close.

This is just my own opinion, everyone else is more than free to think whatever they want, it doesn't really matter to me.

If you don't like it, well, get over it! These are not facts, just people's own personal points of view.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 04:40:03 PM »

Before I start blathering, I'll just say that I think Great Rao can choose whichever stories he wants to put on his website.

Ok, blathering commences now...

I'm not a big fan of Denny O'Neil. I formed that opinion long before I read anyone else's comments about him. One thing that really annoyed me was his use of silly names like Malis (for an alien robot-mummy who wants to kill everyone) or Chokh (for an alien who is polluting Earth). Denny had a message to deliver, and he was prepared to ram it down your throat. I think only Mike Friedrich ever surpassed him in treating the audience as a bunch of dullards.

Has anyone else noticed that Denny also de-powered Wonder Woman and Green Lantern around the same time? What was that about?

Did later writers ignore Superman's de-powerization because they realized that Supergirl would be more powerful than Superman? Apparently, Denny didn't think about that or he would have de-powered her, too.

So, you probably realize that I'm not screaming for Great Rao to post the remainder of the saga. But I'm sure I would enjoy the Swanderson artwork. How's that for taking sides? I guess if I was in one of his stories, Denny would name me something like Ambi Valent.
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 05:33:24 PM »

Quote from: "Spaceman Spiff"

Did later writers ignore Superman's de-powerization because they realized that Supergirl would be more powerful than Superman? Apparently, Denny didn't think about that or he would have de-powered her, too.

Maybe they DID "de-power" Supergirl about that time.  Beginning in Adventure Comics #402 (February 1971), Supergirl was plagued by "on-again, off-again" superpowers, and had to wear jet boots and a power-assisted exoskeleton under her "gloves and hipboots" costume (the "mod" outfit she got from Diana Prince's dress shop).  While this gave her super-strength and flight when her own powers conked out, she also lost her invulnerablity -- making villain combats a dicier proposition.  Typically Supergirl would suffer a "power failure" in mid-fight, giving the surprised antagonist a chance to mop the floor with poor Kara, but before the "killing blow" was delivered Supergirl's powers would return and she would "turn the tables" once more.

Even though this formula got old VERY fast, her "on-again, off-again" problem continued until the end of Supergirl's Adventure Comics run (#424, October 1972), and Supergirl had fully recovered in time for her own series debut in November 1972.  (Though that only lasted ten issues, so full superpowers apparently weren't enough to counter bad writing.)

DTO
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 08:57:45 PM »

Before I start blathering, I'll just say that I think Great Rao can choose whichever stories he wants to put on his website.

Well I'm sure this vindication from you will help Rao sleep better at night, Spiff.

Now, if Rao didn't want comments on his choices of story, he wouldn't have created a forum -- or, at least, that's what logic tells me.

To me "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" is not only NOT overrated but one of the best Superman stories ever.

One of the best ever?! You can't think that because of the art (which is pretty terrible), so it must be the script that attracts you. And is that script one of the best ever? I suppose it could be if you digested the hype surrounding it and didn't read much else from Superman's long history.

If you don't like it, well, get over it!

What I don't like is this dismissive sort of remark which is typical of you, Super Monkey. The forum is for the airing of opinions (and they'll come from all along the spectrum)... As the moderator you should be trying to foster debate -- or, if you can't manage that, at least allowing debate -- not trying to nip dissenting opinions in the bud with your "get over it" speech.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 11:54:49 PM »

I don't understand what all this negativity is coming from Aldous, I can't believe that anyone who read my post could think that I discouraging people from voicing opinions, but you seem to be upset because me and Rao and others here didn't like the Sandman story and then you go ahead and attack our taste. I don't understand why this would upset you since it's just our opinion, not everyone will like every story. I do not get upset when someone doesn't like the same stories that I do, if you hate Alan Moore's story, then fine, it's ok by me. If you love the Sandman Sage to death and think it's the great, then that's fine too, just because I do not like it doesn't mean that anyone here has to agree with me, though plenty do, but they came to that opinion on their own I am sure.

This board is about a children's comic book, there is no reason to ever get upset or stress out over anything written here. Just remember it's Superman, it's suppose to be fun, so please have fun.

So please do get over it, and by all means debate away Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 03:03:00 AM »

I don't understand what all this negativity is coming from Aldous

Neither do I. I read your post, and it seemed quite reasonable, which probably means I owe you an apology.

I've been feeling a bit fractious lately. Maybe I miss the rough and tumble debates we used to have on the boards. Everyone seems very polite and agreeable these days. (How disgusting.  :wink:  )

I think life, like a good story, needs a certain amount of conflict to make it interesting, and to stir the blood.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 04:04:41 AM »

That's ok, it happens. Tongue

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L