superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:55:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Superman Breaks Loose"  (Read 49898 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2005, 06:38:59 PM »

You got me looking at my copy, too.  Yes, the colors are all over the map in this sequence, but as Osgood says, it doesn't poke you in the eye so bad in the original.  Personally, I think this has to do with the paper used back then; you could use really garish colors but they became "muted" on that cheap newsprint.  In fact you almost had to use garish colors just to make an impression at all.  But reproduce the same effects faithfully on today's "superior" paper stock and, as Burt Reynolds said in "The End," it looks "like Walt Disney threw up!"

The impression I get is that this occurs during a sunset.

And for the record, I'd give up today's printing techniques, Photoshop colors, computer-generated lettering and "high quality" paper in a second for a return to the good old days of pulp paper, occasional bleeding colors and a 25 cent price tag!

This looks like a job for...
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2005, 04:31:37 AM »

Quote from: "Osgood Peabody"
Aldous - I have the original, and while the colors are more or less consistent, they don't seem quite as garish. Probably a combination of the cheaper paper, plus 30+ years of aging. But yes, they did change the background colors from panel to panel.

Thanks, Osgood...

Quote from: "nightwing"
And for the record, I'd give up today's printing techniques, Photoshop colors, computer-generated lettering and "high quality" paper in a second for a return to the good old days of pulp paper, occasional bleeding colors and a 25 cent price tag!

As a "four-color" fan myself, I can sympathise...

Excuse my curiosity, though. The adventure as presented online here is the first time I've ever seen it in colour. I grew up on the Superman and DC Comics presented in black and white, due to the embargo on American originals in place at the time. The Australian (and New Zealand) reprints were, for the most part, bereft of colour.

I much prefer top-notch art such as "Swanderson" in black and white.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2005, 07:34:02 AM »

But it really helps those non Anderson-inked pages when color is added.

An artist who would agree with the fans of "muted" colors on newsprint is Dan Clowes, who's David Boring graphic novel was a partial homage to Silver Age Superman and Wayne Boring.

Check out this Clowes print on newsprint:

http://www.buenaventurapress.com/prints/printBP-14.html

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2005, 12:44:06 PM »

Telle, Dan Clowes is awesome!

And I love the 4 color original comics feel myself!  In fact, Dark Horse archives relased a hardbound Magnus collection and they didnt have the original art or good scans so they scanned the comics and the blacks filled in on Russ Manning's art!   Slick paper and color but bleeccch!

Better off to search for the originals on e-bay or at a local comic con.  I picked up a batch of goodies yesterday at the Big Apple and a classic JO meets Supergirl tale by Swan!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2005, 01:21:39 PM »

Cool.  I love all those supporting character crossovers.  JO meets SG, Clark Kent meets Batgirl, etc.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2005, 02:49:55 AM »

Aldous:

When you say "black and white," do you mean just black line art on a white page or one of those deals where various shades of gray substitute for colors?

Because it occurs to me that if there's lots of Australian B/W reprints of classic comic stories out there, they might be a great resource for the Archives series.  So often it seems DC doesn't have the original art for stories, so they get some hack to trace an old comic and try to recreate the line art that way (this is called, "black and white reconstruction" officially, but in plain English it's "tracing."  Similarly, it's credited to "Rick Keene," which translates to "caffeine-crazed chimpanzee with a Sharpey").

If in fact there are vintage B/W comics out there, they might be much better starting point for these recreations.  I wonder if we should suggest it to DC?

This looks like a job for...
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2005, 08:43:16 AM »

No shades of grey as such... The reprints I am talking about are more or less the same as the comics you have, except it's as if the comic page never made it to the colouring department. Or, put another way, the comics are just the pencils, inks, and lettering. Nothing else.

Here is a page from "How to Tame a Wild Volcano." The actual page is normal size, but I have had to drastically reduce the size and quality to put it here... But hopefully you can get an idea of what I mean.

I talked about this a bit in my Australia & New Zealand: the Reprint Anthologies thread, which is around here somewhere... And I believe I discussed in this forum with the great India Ink about exactly how (?) the Australian and New Zealand publisher physically obtained the comics pages to reprint... The reprints started in the 40s and go all the way through to the 80s, or thereabouts.

Quote from: "nightwing"
(this is called, "black and white reconstruction" officially, but in plain English it's "tracing." Similarly, it's credited to "Rick Keene," which translates to "caffeine-crazed chimpanzee with a Sharpey")

:rotfl:
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2005, 10:12:38 AM »

If anyone is interested in reading more about the Australian DC reprints here is a link (originally provided by you, I believe, Aldous):

http://www.ausreprints.com/content/

I probably have over a hundred of them myself, some dating back to the late 1940s, but personally I prefer to get the original DC comics, of which I have well over 1500. I must admit, though, that the early Aussie comics are much cheaper and easier to get than their American counterparts.

Interestingly, in his magazine Alter Ego, Roy Thomas often uses pages provided from an Australian reader, from the Australian comics, rather than the U.S. versions, which suggests that black and white art is easier to reproduce, as Nightwing says.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L