superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking abour starting a site, need input  (Read 3727 times)
idahoprime
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: January 12, 2005, 04:52:49 AM »

Hey all, i know it looks like im new here, but i just ow registered to post...

anyway, i have some hosting space and ive been itching to so a superman site. I dont have much in the way of original content, or any inside scoops really, the only idea i have is a news page.

i know, there are a lot of them, i know because i check about 5 of them everyday hoping for some news of the new movie.

What do you guys think if i did a fairly simple page that acted like a more centralized news page. i wouldnt steal the scoops or anything, but point to wherever the stuff was. I would update at any sign of news, and of course there would probably be links and some media prolly too. But the main idea would be to centralize Superman news, mainly the 2006 movie & smallville.

what do you think. waste of time? im bored and have webspace....

please offer any ideas, im willing to do anything.....i just cant think of anything that new or refreshing....

thanks

ADAM
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 03:58:20 PM »

Having been involved in a couple of websites, I can tell you it's important to have a keen interest in your subject from the beginning.  Otherwise it'll soon overwhelm and/or bore you and you'll move on.  So whatever you do, make sure it's something you care about.

For my own Superman site (http://nightwing.supermanfan.net, hosted by our own Great Rao!), I chose to focus on the Superman of my youth, and my experiences and memories of being his fan.  Since it's all personal, it's no chore to put in the time needed to create the pages, and since it needn't be timely or up-to-the-minute, I can add to it...or not...depending on my mood and free time.

Running a "news only" site has the benefit of not forcing you to write or design tons of new content (you'd just point to things that exist elsewhere) but it will also mean making a commitment to stay on top of stuff all the time and constantly update.  Trust me, this is more work than it sounds like.  But if want to get visitors following this kind of format, they'll be looking to you to do their legwork for them; find Superman-related news stories before they do, and dependably, and they'll keep coming back.

Just keep in mind there are as many ways to do a Superman site as there are Superman fans.  The great part about my site is that it's all told in my voice from my point of view.  I'm not competing with anyone to tell the news first, to get the hot interviews or to be the authority on Superman history. I'm just sharing my own thoughts.  And happily, that approach has put me in touch with lots of fans who have their own memories to share.

This looks like a job for...
idahoprime
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 01:14:23 AM »

Hey, thats a cool site, original too!

Yeah, i planned on staying WAY on top of the news stuff if i did this.
Im also having trouble coming up with a domain name. Everything good is taken. I have hosting already.....all i really need is a subdomain, like how your site is with here. hint hint, lol.....
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 03:27:44 AM »

Quote from: "idahoprime"
Im also having trouble coming up with a domain name.

How about supermanprime.com?  That's still available.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 04:55:52 PM »

all i really need is a subdomain, like how your site is with here. hint hint, lol.....

Hint heard.

At one point, Great Rao, proprietor of this site and all-around nice guy, was offering server space to interested members of this board.  Not sure if that offer is still good, but it's worth sending him a private message.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 12:44:06 AM »

Nightwing's site is one of my personal favorites for the fact that it's completely different from any other copycat Superman site and of course it's a lot of fun to read and look at.

I think that if you want to do a Superman site then you should do something that no one else has done and no one but you can do, if not then it's not worth it, IMHO.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L