superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:16:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Linda Danvers  (Read 33493 times)
Supergrl5013
Superman Family

"Be happy, not crappy"- my personal quote

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 09:25:39 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Quote from: "darkmark90"
From what I've heard on another forum, Peter David is playing it coy, but admits that yes, if you want Fallen Angel to be Linda Danvers, she is.  I don't much see her being Supergirl in tone, but it's a pretty good read nonetheless.

I met Peter David at a comic-shop signing, back when DC's Fallen Angel #1 had just come out.

He told a few people in the gathering there, that Lee is absolutely Linda Danvers and that the Fallen Angel title is a direct continuation of the events from his last Supergirl storyline.  But he also said that he could never admit any of this in print anywhere or online anywhere and that he would always "officially" deny it.  He will most likely continue to deny it on forums and in emails, but will probably do his absolute best to tell you the most that he can without breaking the rules - which is to admit that it could be "possible."  So you have to read between the lines.

If you liked PAD's run on Fallen Angel and you like his interpretation of the Linda Danvers/Lee character, I would say that she continues on in the new incarnation of that title.  But if you like reading about a "Supergirl," then read the new DC Supergirl title.

If DC ever does refer to the character again (which I really doubt, since in effect she's moved to a new publisher, just that no one can say it), it will in effect be a new character who will have splintered off from the "real" PAD Linda Danvers.  She'll also have a new writer behind her.  The only similarity will be that she'll have Lee's old name.

S!
Really? so Linda's back? YAY! Cheesy

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 09:38:08 PM »

You could say that, except that she now has a different name and a different set of beliefs and a different attitude.  Sort of a different character with Linda's backstory.  If you haven't already, hunt down the first issue or two of DC's original Fallen Angel title and read them for yourself to decide it was her and if you're interested.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Supergrl5013
Superman Family

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 09:41:18 PM »

is there a site online with previews of it?..if so, which ones?

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 10:00:15 PM »

I don't know about "preview", the first issue came out 2 years ago.  Like PAD's final Supergirl story, the first 6 issues of Fallen Angel has also been collected into a TPB.

Those who like Peter David's writing will love the book.  Those who don't like his writing, will vehemently dislike it.  This is PAD in his most pure form.

You might want to read "Many Happy Returns" first if you haven't already.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2005, 07:18:27 AM »

Supergrl5013, keep in mind that "Fallen Angel' is a considerably "darker" series, where the lines between good and evil / right and wrong aren't very clear.  The entire city of Bete Noire seems more located in Purgatory than Louisiana (there's heavy hints that the "kindly old bartender" was a very significant person in WWII), and there is ample violence and blood.  For these reasons, DC slapped this comic with a "Suggested for Mature Readers" label, which might have hurt solicitations.  (There were reported instances of comic shops refusing to order what they mistakenly believed was an "adult" comic!)  In retrospect, "Fallen Angel" might have fared better as a Vertigo title, but alas that was not to be.  

A preview of the IDW relaunch of "Fallen Angel" can be seen at:
http://www.newsarama.com/IDW/FallenAngel/FallenAngelPre.htm

A related interview is at:
http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=ff9803383628206fa697d1c52ab90da4&threadid=35477

A review of the original DC series is at:
http://popmatters.com/comics/fallen-angel.shtml

DTO
Supergrl5013
Superman Family

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 10:32:37 PM »

So Peter David reprinted his comic and now its going to be a longer series?

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2005, 06:44:38 AM »

Supergrl5013, the original DC "Fallen Angel" series was #1-20, with the first six issues combined into a trade paperback.  Most likely DC will not republish any more of this "Fallen Angel" series in trade paperback format, but back issues are fairly easy to obtain and relatively cheap -- many comic book stores are already clearing these out of their inventories, so check the "bargain bins".

The IDW relaunch will begin with a new Issue #1.  This second series is set twenty years after the events chronicled in the DC books, but Peter David claims that this would be an excellent starting point for new readers.  So while it's not particularly necessary to read the earlier DC "Fallen Angel", I'm sure it will be useful to become familar with the main characters and the background of Bete Noire.

DTO
Supergrl5013
Superman Family

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2005, 06:15:37 PM »

okey,dokey...thanks for the info

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L