superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:38:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally! I got the Supergirl Director's cut!  (Read 19962 times)
Supergrl5013
Superman Family

"Be happy, not crappy"- my personal quote

« on: January 18, 2005, 03:32:13 PM »

I love it!...Great movie

GrantZilla
Superman's Pal

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 12:16:02 AM »

I got the Director's Cut as well. After seeing it, I can see why they cut many of scenes out. Its not that scenes were bad, just parts that were cut were prolonged parts that did little to forward the plot.  

I think reason why Supergirl is viewed as a bad movie is because their were too many plot holes in it.

Main problem is the much needed presence of Superman. We should have had Superman finding her crashed ship, taking her under his wing and eventually giving her the Supergirl title.  Instead we have Kara from ARgo City who somehow knows she's Superman's cousin. How she knows is never made clear since she never left Argo.

Other main problem is the pacing. Plot envolves Kara finding the Omega Hedron before her people run out power and die. Instead of her searching for the Omega 24/7, she decides to join an all girls school, play field hocky, and have a romance with a gardner.  Can't help but wonder why she is doing this when her people could be dead from lack of air.

Movie also needed a stronger villian. Instead of having a Lex Luthor like villian who is willing to blow up the entire Western seaboard so can get better real estate, we got a vampy witch who's main beef with Supergirl is some stud gardner she wants fell in love with Linda instead.

If going to have a witch, atleast have a creepy one that maybe got snakes growing out of her head or something.

Sadly its these inconsistencies and plot holes that bog down what could be a very good movie.
darkmark90
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 07:52:15 AM »

Not sure if I should do the plug bit here, but on the GAFF board, there was a challenge to rewrite bad movies.  You can guess which one I chose, and see the results here:

http://dark_mark.tripod.com/supergirl_movie.html

I'm a BIG writer of fanfic, much of it about Supergirl but covering lots of characters in lots of comic universes.  Check the stories out at http://Dark_Mark.tripod.com/darkmark1.htm and at http://darkmark90.tripod.com/darkmark2.html .
GrantZilla
Superman's Pal

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 10:50:44 AM »

That wasn't a bad version. If I were to make a new Supergirl I'd have made it more like the TAS version, Kara coming from sister planet ARgos.
Webley
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 02:01:47 AM »

In the director's cut do you ever get to see Supergirl looking like this? and if not do any of you know the story behind this outfit? did some one make it for fun or is it a real production photo?

Short Round is cooler than Indy
GrantZilla
Superman's Pal

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 03:54:02 AM »

Quote from: "Webley"
In the director's cut do you ever get to see Supergirl looking like this? and if not do any of you know the story behind this outfit? did some one make it for fun or is it a real production photo?

I don't think they ever used that outfit on film. Those pics I think were taken only during a outfit test. They were deciding which Supergirl outfit they were going to use. The outfit in those photos at time was the current outfit she was wearing. I think she even wore it during Crisis when she died.

All got to say is thank God they never used it and went with traditional look.
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 04:34:51 AM »

I like this costume.

My understanding is that it was originally designed for and intended to be used in the movie and was then introduced into the comics before the movie came out, so that the two would be consistent.  But then when the movie went into production, the movie people decided not to use it so the two weren't consistent after all.

http://superman.nu/supergirl/costumes/1983/

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 07:50:56 AM »

Starchild, I also understand that DC protested to the movie producers that only Kryptonian males wore the headband full-time.  Men and women in Kandor donned black headbands on the anniversary of Krypton's demise, but that was apparently the only exception to the all-male rule.  

Yet DC complied and gave Kara a headband a couple issues after she debuted the intended movie costume.  But the movie's release was delayed from summer 1984 to Thanksgiving, and the Supergirl comic was suddenly axed that spring.  Thus there was no opportunity for Supergirl to don ANOTHER costume that matched the movie prior to the Crisis.

Yet, Kara DID wear Helen Slater's final movie costume -- though not in mainstream Pre-Crisis continuity.  Naturally the movie adaptation comic book had the correct costume, but there were also two "Seatbelt Safety Specials" that DC created for the US Department of Transportation and the American Honda Motor Corporation, which gave them away to kids.  Both featured Supergirl in the movie costume, and ironically the second was published in 1986 -- AFTER Kara Zor-El was officially "dead and forgotten".

DTO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L