superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:31:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally! I got the Supergirl Director's cut!  (Read 19942 times)
GrantZilla
Superman's Pal

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 10:27:35 AM »

Actually the costume Supergirl used was not a original costume created for the movie. In fact the design is the same that was used for the original Super-Girl 1958. This Supergirl came about when Jimmie used a lamp and wished for her to be created for Superman

Kara actually used a similar outfit in 70s, but instead of her wearing a red dress, was more like red hot pants.
http://superman.nu/supergirl/costumes/
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 10:53:53 PM »

GrantZilla, I am very aware of the Super-Girl costume -- it's ironic that the most recognizable Supergirl costume was not worn by the Silver Age Kara Zor-El in mainstream DC continuity, but by Super-Girl, the movie Supergirl and Matrix/Linda.  Interesting also that Super-Girl was the only one who wore very high-heeled boots.  (Kara's "mod" hipboots and gloves outfit in the 1970s sported medium heels, but they were needed to conceal the flight jets during her "on-again, off-again" powers stage.)

Kara's blouse and hotpants outfit had a similar color scheme (blue over red), but she wore a smaller "S" shield off-center and the cape was looped around her neck.  Also, for her Adventure Comics and first Supergirl series Kara had red moccasins rather than boots (they first appeared in the Superman Family run).  

However, last night I noticed the cover of Action Comics #262 ("Supergirl's Greatest Victory!" shows Kara wearing a red skirt!  Does anyone know if she actually wears this in the actual story, or was this purely a cover artist's mistake?  She's back in her all-blue dress in her next Action Comics appearance, though.

Helen Slater's outfit is very similar to the costumes worn by Super-Girl and Matrix/Linda (though Matrix has more "V" elements in the skirt, belt and sleeves).  Also, Helen's boots were cut differently than most comic Supergirl footwear (usually they had a "V" notch in front), and they had yellow trim.  No other Supergirl had gold trimmed boots (except for a truly horrid all-blue bodysuit seen in Adventure Comics #412-413) until the new Kara Zor-El came around -- but then again, she has gold trim EVERYWHERE!   :wink:

DTO
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 01:38:06 PM »

Quote from: "dto"
Helen Slater's outfit is very similar to the costumes worn by Super-Girl and Matrix/Linda (though Matrix has more "V" elements in the skirt, belt and sleeves).  Also, Helen's boots were cut differently than most comic Supergirl footwear (usually they had a "V" notch in front), and they had yellow trim.  No other Supergirl had gold trimmed boots (except for a truly horrid all-blue bodysuit seen in Adventure Comics #412-413) until the new Kara Zor-El came around -- but then again, she has gold trim EVERYWHERE!   :wink:

It seems to me that the golden-tipped boots and the V belt were hold-overs from that original movie costume that never made into the movie:

I would think that the movie folks weren't using Super-Girl's costume as much as they were modifying their pre-production Supergirl movie costume - that one that Kara used in the comics.  All they basically did was change the S logo and cape to be more along the lines with the Chris Reeve costume; and remove the headband.  But the boots, belt, and skirt stayed.

So the V theme that Matrix/Linda had everywhere; all the gold trim that the new Kara has everywhere; and Helen Slater's movie costume - one could argue that these all are extensions of the original Kara's funky 70's headband costume. Smiley

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Ethan
Superman's Pal

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 05:17:53 PM »

hi, i'm new here. I dont really like comics but i'm a huuuuuuuge fan of the superman-saga (costume, movie...) and his 'cousin' Kara.
Only recently i re-discovered Supergirl and now i'm totally addicted to it so i went looking for more stuff and so here i am

Quote from: "GrantZilla"
I got the Director's Cut as well. After seeing it, I can see why they cut many of scenes out. Its not that scenes were bad, just parts that were cut were prolonged parts that did little to forward the plot.  

I think reason why Supergirl is viewed as a bad movie is because their were too many plot holes in it.

Main problem is the much needed presence of Superman. We should have had Superman finding her crashed ship, taking her under his wing and eventually giving her the Supergirl title.  Instead we have Kara from ARgo City who somehow knows she's Superman's cousin. How she knows is never made clear since she never left Argo.

Other main problem is the pacing. Plot envolves Kara finding the Omega Hedron before her people run out power and die. Instead of her searching for the Omega 24/7, she decides to join an all girls school, play field hocky, and have a romance with a gardner.  Can't help but wonder why she is doing this when her people could be dead from lack of air.

Movie also needed a stronger villian. Instead of having a Lex Luthor like villian who is willing to blow up the entire Western seaboard so can get better real estate, we got a vampy witch who's main beef with Supergirl is some stud gardner she wants fell in love with Linda instead.

If going to have a witch, atleast have a creepy one that maybe got snakes growing out of her head or something.

Sadly its these inconsistencies and plot holes that bog down what could be a very good movie.

Two weeks i discovered there was a limited edition with the whole version and with deleted scenes, bought it  from ebay and waiting for it to arrive now: i'm so exited i can hardly sleep Smiley

your comment is sooo true. although i really like the movie: some things weren't good or right. especially the holes you mentioned. when i read there was a director's cut that had scenes in that help you understand the story more. that is right! the story is sooo fast but the movie itself is very slow.

Faye as Selena is fabulous but what an empty amateuristic witch with lack of ambition. What's the use of Bianca? A simple math teatcher has the hindo power staff? Prob lying between pizzas under his bed?
The movie is so fast fast fast. It needed a lot more work.

For the new Supergirl movie Id like to see a remake: start from the bottom (considering the comments of Grantzilla Smiley ) and work from there. If it's a hit, they can work further on that.

Thank you very much for you comment, Grantzilla. Nice to read it: you are so right!
Ethan
Superman's Pal

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 05:21:14 PM »

i cant wait to see the scenes again where:

*there is a hockeymatch and Linda gets a ball on her back and the ball cracks up when it hit her back
*when she is doomed to the nomansland, when she breaks out of the glass, the first thing she tries to do is fly but she falls.

i've seen the movie zillion times but the version i have on vhs does not contain those scenes so i've viewed them only once! cant wait for my limited edition to arrive!
Ethan
Superman's Pal

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 05:22:21 PM »

has anyone got official figures/details about the movie? cant find them anywhere...

thx!
Supergrl5013
Superman Family

"Be happy, not crappy"- my personal quote

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 12:50:36 PM »

My favorit scenes in the movie: 1. When after  Nigel breaks open the nut and goes into the next scene the begining of the scene where kara tells Ethan that she'll be back soon...she has to leave and then ethan does the same and then she say's hey! **you hear someone bouncing off a trampoline and then she fies over his head.... @. The scene with zaltar and kara in the phantom zone ...THAT WAS REALLY WELL DONE

GrantZilla
Superman's Pal

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 11:12:26 PM »

It was kind of interesting how Supergirl took off into flight. She kind of did it with a ballet like lung, vereses Superman raw powerful lung into flight. Her's was more theatrical it seemed, whil Superman's just seemed effortless.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L