superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:49:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Superboy be brought back?  (Read 11442 times)
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: January 25, 2005, 08:33:29 PM »

What do you think? With the re-introduction of many elements of the Pre-Crisis Superman into the recent comics, should young Clark Kent's career as Superboy in Smallville be reintroduced as well?

Although I love the jettisoning of Byrne-era continuity in favor of reimagined Pre-Crisis stuff, I think that Superboy is something that needs to stay in the past. I'm not really in favor of lots of stories about Superman's youth in Smallville for the simple reason that most of those stories involve him using his powers in some way, making it harder to believe that no one ever figures out that Superman and Clark Kent are the same guy. Having a Superboy that protects Smallville, leaves town around the same time Clark does, then turns up in Metropolis around the same time that Clark does is just too much to swallow, especially if we're asked to believe that the extremely intelligent Lex Luthor lived in both places and never figured out Clark's secret.  Kal-El's years in Smallville should be mostly ambiguous. The tiny amount of "Clark in Smallville" material in Birthright is about right.

I liked the Superboy stories when I was a kid, and if DC ever publishes kid-oriented comics again then some new Superboy stories would be great.
Daybreaker
Supermen of America

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 06:31:15 PM »

It's iffy for me.  I can see plusses and minuses.

I think I end up being against the inclusion of a Superboy who runs around in the costume and then grows up to be Superman.  That doesn't quite work for me.  I have too much difficulty believing that "Superboy" is a name that anyone would come up with, for one thing.  And I like the idea that there is a Superboy, but he's inspired by Superman, not the other way around.

What works best for me is a scenario sort of like what's depicted on Smallville and in stories like Odyssey, where a young Clark Kent has adventures and helps people, but he isn't quite Superman (neither completely Superman nor completely a man yet).
CRISISHATER
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 08:39:59 PM »

To me it is the final nail in my refusal not to enthusiatically follow the post crisis drivel.  I have always loved Superboy and has been my personal favorite hero. I am 29 and learned to love comics by reading the old Legion digests at the grocery store introduced me into comics. What John Byrne did was destroy a legend and ruin DC for 20 years. It has to change, Superman has never been right since. It's time for Superboy. If they bring him back, that doesn't mean they have to get rid of the current one.

Crisis and man of steel ruined the Superman mythos

Please Assist New Orleans if you can. Give food, water. Be careful where you send your money.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 10:11:01 PM »

More than one hero lays claim to 'Green Lantern', 'The Atom', and certainly 'The Flash'.

Technically, two dogs are named 'Krypto' albeit only one is powered and the other is a Kon-El hating normal mutt.

We do have precedent for having more than one character named 'Superboy'.  We could differentiate between them as the Real Boy of Steel Deal (Kal-El) vs the wannabe (Kon-El).

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 11:00:42 PM »

I don't think it's necessarily a problem to have two Superboys.  Remember, Bruce Wayne was the first Robin back when he was a kid.  After he grew up and became Batman, he adopted new Robins as his sidekicks.  I don't see why it couldn't be the same thing with Superman and Superboy.  You know, kind of grooming/training his eventual replacement.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Daybreaker
Supermen of America

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 06:41:10 AM »

I'm not getting how you would have two at the same time.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 07:55:23 AM »

Quote from: "Daybreaker"
It's iffy for me. I can see plusses and minuses.

I think that's where I stand as well. The concept of Superman being a teen-aged super-hero has its pros and cons. Some of the pros would be the connection to the Legion, having Superman encounter villains as a boy, and the coming of age stories. The cons would be no one noticing the Smallville connection and taking away the debut of Superman in Metropolis.

I'm undecided, but I do enjoy reading the stories over at Superboy Lives!

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 03:43:17 PM »

I think DC's policy Post Crisis was to avoid other time eras as much as possible to avoid the inevitable continuity problems.  We no longer have Anthro, Shining Knight, Batlash, Sgt. Rock, etc.  The only other time period DC kept was the 30th/31st century LSH, and they're so far removed from mainstream DCU continuity that it's relatively easy to keep them around -- once the Superboy/Supergirl link was removed.

While I'd like to see the real Superboy return, I agree with DC's decision to stay away from other eras.  A Superboy series would tie the hands of both the Superboy creators and the Superman teams.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L