superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pete Ross  (Read 3873 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: January 26, 2005, 01:03:28 AM »

(Apologies if this has been discussed in the last year --a quick search of the forum didn't turn up anything obvious.)

Does Pete have a room or shrine in the Fortress (Superman's or the website's)?  There is a short entry in the Encyclopedia but I wonder if there is a master list or Pete Ross fanpage (hey, there are fanpages for more minor characters!). I'd like to see a list of major appearances/storylines or something about the adult Pete.

My thinking started here:
http://members.aol.com/MG4273/superboy.htm

Weisinger was very conscious of areas still to be filled in of the Superman mythos. In the letter column of Jimmy Olsen #62 (April, 1962), he pointed out that he'd never yet shown what happened to Pete Ross after he grew up and left Smallville. The grownup Pete Ross has a brief cameo in "The Superman Super-Spectacular" (Action #309, February 1964), written by Edmond Hamilton. This story shows him as still knowing Superman's secret, but now completely out of touch with Superman since his college days. Pete Ross has grown up to be a successful geologist, wealthy from his exploration for oil. It is a terribly inadequate end to the Pete Ross series. It is too bad he did not come back for more! The college age Pete Ross has a role in "Lois Lane's College Scoops" (Lois Lane #55, February 1965), which shows both Pete Ross and Lois going to Raleigh College. Pete Ross is captain of the Raleigh fencing team. He and Superman are still friends, and they are still trading places with each other, just as in the friendship tales. Pete Ross is in just the first of the three brief episodes of this story; his is far and away the best of the three. Pete Ross also plays a major role in Edmond Hamilton's imaginary tale, "Clark Kent's Brother" (Superman #175, February 1965), although he has quite a different personality and role here than in his Superboy series. Different editors brought back Pete Ross many years later in (Superman #270, December 1973).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 02:42:07 AM »

I must point out for the record that our hero Elliot S! Maggin wrote a Clark Kent story where the adult Pete Ross and Clark Kent meet up back in Smallville.  I'm pretty sure it incorporates the Hamilton story, and is a great heartwarming addition to the Pete Ross tale.  It was reprinted in the Superman in the Seventies trade paperback.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 09:08:51 AM »

Thanks Starchild.  

I just realized I posted this in the Site Updates forum.  Oops.

[Administrator note: moved to proper section.]

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 05:43:35 AM »

Thanks for moving this!

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 12:52:25 PM »

Superboy's truly best friend, Pete Ross!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 05:47:01 PM »

Yeah, a Pete vs Jimmy story would have been interesting.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L