superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:49:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comics published currently  (Read 2268 times)
Guy
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: January 26, 2005, 09:32:38 AM »

Hi,

I'm 17 years old and new to comics. I've loved Superman since I was a child, and my father was a huge fan in his childhood.

He told me his favorite drawings of Superman were by Curt Swan. I looked them up on the site and I absolutely love them.

Sadly, my father lost all his collection, and I'm left with the comics DC publishes monthly. I prefer not to buy issues from the 60s and the 70s.

I'd like to know if any of the titles currently published are drawn in the "old style", or vintage... I simply hate Marvel's current drawings, and prefer the vintage comics a lot more.

According to DC's site, the current Superman titles are:
Action Comics
Adventures Of Superman
Superman
Smallville

Seeing as I'm not interested in Smallville, what should I choose? Does anyone know where I can find drawings from those titles, so I can decide?

Thanks a lot!  Cheesy
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 10:17:11 AM »

Guy,
if you love Curt Swan's work you might be interested in acquiring the two TPBs Superman in the Sixties, and Superman in the Seventies.
Both are still in print, I believe, and have a fair sampling of his art, particularly the latter book.

As far as current comics go, I'm afraid I can't help you there.
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 01:05:41 PM »

Welcome to the site, Guy!  I'm a huge Curt Swan fan myself, as, I suspect, are most Superman fans.

I can't really speak to the current comics either.

The last time I checked, most of the back issues from the 70s and 80s were pretty inexpensive - sometimes even less than a current issue!  But if you're in a location without a good local comic shop (see http://csls.diamondcomics.com/ to find shops in your area), you're limited to buying them on the internet.   Curt was the major Superman artist from the 1950s to the 1980s, so there's quite a lot of material to discover.

And be sure to check out all the online comics on this site as well. Smiley
http://superman.nu/superman-comics/

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L