superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "HOW to TAME a WILD VOLCANO!"  (Read 3520 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: January 26, 2005, 09:36:22 PM »

Thanks to Alfred Walker for sending in Part Two of the Sand Saga!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 04:02:14 AM »

Okay, I've just read this for the first time...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

F
O
L
L
O
W

The artwork is great!

Denny O'Neil is why comics should have mute buttons.

Where to begin... :roll:

If you own a South Pacific island on Earth-One, you can make your own laws? Until the UN observers show up, that is.

Between pages 3 and 9, Superman tries to save the islanders from the volcano without "breaking the law." But he buys Harker's argument that he (Harker) has a right to kill any workers leaving the island?

On pages 13 and 14, I guess you could say that, technically, Superman is trespassing and damaging private property. And he lets the dummies maim themselves. Can't blame him much for that, if they are that stupid. But wasn't Superman in the wrong here?

Then on page 15, Harker is hauled away to "stand trial in an international court of law." Just what crime(s) will Harker be charged with? Attempted murder? Involuntary servitude? Writing bad comic stories? No, wait, that was someone else. Weren't attempted murder and slavery illegal before the UN observers showed up?

The artwork was great! (Just making sure I end on a positive note.)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 04:12:21 AM »

I could never figure out all the fuss about this story.  Maybe you had to be there when it happened, it was probably pretty mind-blowing at the time.

But the artwork is great!

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L