superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:41:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman: The Animated Series Volume One.  (Read 7178 times)
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« on: January 30, 2005, 09:53:08 AM »

Well, it's out and you're lookin' at one happy camper:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=...

So far I'm on Episode 5: A Little Piece of Home. Man does this series rule the roost. I liked Batman: The Animated Series, but that Shirley Walker opening score just makes my heart pump faster.

The initial 18 episodes of the series are on here, along with commentary for selected episodes. There's also a SUPERMAN: LEARNING TO FLY mini-documentary on creating the series, as well as BUILDING THE MYTHOLOGY: SUPERMAN'S SUPPORTING CAST. I'll review the whole of the DVD set as it comes along, but the presentation thus far is slick. My only complaint is that they made this a two disc set with three discs worth of material; much like the Superman: The Movie DVD, one disc is two-sided, which is kind of irksome. Still, any chance to catch this great series on DVD is one you shouldn't pass up. The scene as Jor-El and Lara place baby Kal in the rocket is moving as all get-out (the sadness of the music always makes my eyes mist a bit). If you want the coolest depiction of Superman outside of the Silver Age of comics, you owe it to yourself to give this boxed-set a look.

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Webley
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 05:37:57 AM »

When you say Volume One do you meen season one? :roll:

Short Round is cooler than Indy
Newbie Man
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 12:39:55 AM »

I agree VOLUME 1 (it's both Volume I & Season I) is awesome. They do plan on releasing other volumes don't they? If so has anyone heard when?[/quote]
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 12:01:02 PM »

Well, the wait between volumes one and two of Batman: The Animated Series wasn't too long, I can only imagine they've got something similar in the works for Superman and (hopefully) Justice League.

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 01:23:05 AM »

Seeing as only 54 episodes were made and the first set contains 18 of them, I think it's safe to assume that Superman will be a 3-volume set.

I would like to see the Filmation and Ruby-Spears cartoons on DVD, though. I have the complete Fleischer set already.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Newbie Man
Superman Fan

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 01:41:29 AM »

I would like to see the Filmation and Ruby-Spears cartoons on DVD, though. I have the complete Fleischer set already.[/color][/quote]

I'd buy em too!
boomer359
Superman Fan

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 04:32:02 PM »

This is, indeed, a nice set. I'm on the law few episodes and I'm really enjoying it. Tim Daly does a great job with Superman's voice and the animation is quite good. My only complaint is that I don't like the way the watered down his powers for the series. It puts me off a bit to see him strain when he picks up a car.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 11:20:22 PM »

Just bought it, love it.

Actually, I bought the Last Son of Krypton DVD from someone on eBay first..it's the first 3 episodes reformatted into a movie. I liked it so much that I bought the whole series (so far.)

I also have the Fleischer cartoons, but I remember another one that I watched when I was a kid...I think they even did the Death of Superman on it (original 1960 version.) Can't remember which cartoon it was, though.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L