superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Pete Ross' SUPER SECRET!"  (Read 15216 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: January 31, 2005, 09:25:58 PM »

What happens when PETE ROSS learns Superboy's SECRET IDENTITY?

Find out in "PETE ROSS' SUPER SECRET!"

Special thanks to Mark Alfred for tracking down, scanning, and sending in this story!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Just a fan
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 02:47:30 AM »

Thanks, this was a story I missed as a kid and always wondered about it.

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 05:51:09 AM »

A beautiful classic story that scratched my Pete Ross itch.

Speaking of scratching itches, I never noticed it when I first read the story in a Superman annual, but the innocent relationship between Pete and Clark has so many layers to it when viewed with my modern cynical eye.  I'm filled with an intense nostalgia for a (non-existent?) simpler time for adolescent friendships and camping trips --although it is very interesting the circumstances of Pete's "discovery" of Clark's secret.

I'm especially fond of the roller-skating "date", when Pete is tempted by the devil (oy!) but chooses Clark, offering him a very phallic hotdog as a token of his loyalty and thinking, "I'd rather spend one minute with Clark than a whole night with characters like him".  An especially nice touch is the addition of an earringed Pirate boy in that scene.

Paging Dr. Wertham...  :?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 09:02:17 PM »

Whatcha gonaa do if ol Doc W answers that page, Telle? :shock:

My puzzlement is for Superman/boy's propensity for freckle faced pals?! :roll:
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:03:06 PM »

Awww...!  Cheesy Nice story Rao, wonder did Clark ever find out about Pete's 'super secret'? Speaking of Pete, I seem to remember this strange story from Superman In The Seventies! where Superman is forced to battle Pete, whose mind is possessing Superboy's body. (Brought forward to the present, where Superboy is stuck in adult Pete's body). I don't have the story nearby, but I believe Pete blamed Superman for giving up his son to an alien race where he would become a great leader in the future. I believe there were more parts to that story then presented in the graphic novel - anyhoo, just thought it was an intriguing storyline. :wink:

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 06:10:29 AM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Whatcha gonaa do if ol Doc W answers that page, Telle? :shock:

I'd like to have a conversation with Wertham.  An early comics scholar (or at least, a scholar with an interest in and wide reading of comics and zines).  Parts of SOTI are wrong-headed and bizarre, sure, but he doesn't desrve the weight the traditional comics historians have put on him.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 02:15:19 AM »

I always loved this story.  Pete Ross was symbolic of the many good-hearted folks in the old mythos.  Starting with Jor-El and Lara and going on through the stages of Kal's life, there were so many great, decent people who did nice, even heroic and self-sacrificing things for him.  You got the feeling he kept doing great works because he lived in a world full of people who deserved it.

As for Wertham, it's hard to have much respect for anyone who practiced such bad science.  He started with a premise and assembled the facts to support it, rather than studying the facts and reaching a conclusion.   He interviewed juvenile delinquents and asked them if they read comics.  Of course it was the 50's so they all said "yes"!  Well, then, he reasoned, there you have it, juvenile delinquents are created by comics!  What a wanker!

Of course with that kind of "science" you could "prove" the same "fact" about any number of things.  How many of the boys had been alter boys?  How many chewed gum? How many watched Howdy Doody?  Maybe church, gum and puppets cause crime too!  :roll:

No, what we saw in "Seduction" was one of the first manifestations of a phenomenon that continues to this day, in the banning of "explicit lyric" records, fears of video games, and assertions that Tinkie-Winkie is making pre-schoolers gay.  Basically you've got a bunch of dime-store psychologists with a sure-fire way to sell books: tell the parents of America that the culture is what's ruining their kids.  Of course the parents love it, because if TV, comics and music are to blame then it can't be their poor parenting skills at the root of it all.  It's a whole lot easier to burn a stack of Beatle records or EC comics than it is to truly be involved in your kids' lives and live a good example.

Anyway, I read in Wertham's obit that he eventually disavowed the book and said he was wrong about comics.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 03:57:37 AM »

Plus those EC comics were great, I just wished that modern Superhero comics weren't trying so hard to outdo them.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L