superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Pete Ross' SUPER SECRET!"  (Read 15220 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 10:25:36 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Plus those EC comics were great, I just wished that modern Superhero comics weren't trying so hard to outdo them.

You mean, like, the EC Mad parodies of Superman and Wonder Woman? Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 12:54:05 PM »

The Pete story was very apropos for this week's Smallville. See...no spoilers. :wink:

No Telle - SHOCK SUSPENSE STORIES and bloody horror in TALES FROM THE CRYPT, VUALT OF HORROR ETC. :shock:  :lol:
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 01:17:52 AM »

At the risk of straying too far off topic, the fuss over EC comics as the "corruptors of children" back in the 50s really didn't understand them. All the EC horror stories were about instilling moral values. The lesson in every one of them is "those who commit evil acts end up suffering". Treat others kindly, marry for love not money, don't think you can get away with a crime for long, etc.  or some zombie might come and eat you.

They used gross-out methods to tell the story and that was what got them in trouble. They were no more grisly or disgusting than many of the classic fairytales (think of Little Red Riding Hood's Grandma being eaten by the Big Bad Wolf, who then gets chopped with an ax). For that matter, they were no more upsetting than many parts of the Bible that are filled with gore and violence. But nobody objected to fairytales or the Bible since they only used words. Comic books, by their nature, have to use pictures to tell the story, and hypocritical adult minds couldn't handle SEEING  that kind of stuff illustrated on the page for children.
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 01:32:16 AM »

"You got the feeling he kept doing great works because he lived in a world full of people who deserved it".

That's one of the real hallmarks of the classic Superman stories. Superman is here because good people just need a champion to show them the way. Sure, there are many examples of people acting in selfish or petty ways (even Superman in, for example,  his mind-games with Lois), but Weisinger also CONSTANTLY has other people offering to sacrifice their happiness for some cause, or even sacrificing their own lives to save others. How many times did the Silver Age stories use the idea of a machine that could "transfer life-force" from one person to another, at the cost of the Ultimate Sacrifice...their own life? The messianic aspect of the Superman mythos is reinforced by this constant use of "sacrifice", "giving life-force", etc.

My favorite example is in "The Last Days of Superman", where our hero chooses as his last words the idea that if you do good for others, everyone can be a Superman. Kinda chokes me up every time I read it. Even Luthor was "tempted" into doing good deeds once in a while.
Ceasars Ghost
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 01:44:41 AM »

There is another old Superboy comic that I remember. I read it a long time ago, so I may be a bit fuzzy on the details. Clark Kent decides to fake his own death. This story is told through Pete's eyes via a series of flashbacks about how he knew Clark was Superboy and that he knew Clark wasnt really dead. I'd love to see that one again. I love the old Superboy comics, and I remember quite a few of them from this site. Smiley
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »

It's " Superboy's Greatest Hoax"  where he feigns death and appoints Pete as his successor--just in case he ever does die and doesnt grow up to be Superman.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L