superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr Incredible vs Superman  (Read 13360 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 04, 2005, 04:28:48 AM »

Thought this might go here:

Just read this article and wondered if Superman could ever be replaced as THE iconic superhero.

http://www.techcentralstation.com/020305B.html

He's Mr. Incredible, the animated star of Pixar's latest box office super-hit, The Incredibles.

He's America.

Superheroes are a uniquely American phenomenon. To be sure, plenty of American immigrants played vital roles in the development of the superhero, as did gifted writers and artists from around the Anglosphere -- but the superhero was born, bred, and raised to manhood in the United States. No other nation has any comparable place for costumed crimefighters of any kind, in any medium. Indeed, outside of the Anglosphere, no country has produced a genuine superhero worth mentioning.

The superhero has displaced the cowboy as America's representative myth.

edited for spelling Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 05:46:39 AM »

Pffffffft.

That about sums up my opinion. Mr. Incredible is pretty cool, but c'mon now. Each has their own place in the pantheon, but nobody is more iconic than the big blue boyscout. Wink

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 02:39:41 PM »

Superman is beyond a shadow of a doubt THE icon and did indeed set the standard for the superhero as we know it.

However, I have to strongly disagree with the "no other country has produced a superhero worth mentioning".  In Japan alone you have Kamen Rider and Ultraman whos various incarnations and series are shown all over the world (except in the United States) and to this very day garner new generations of fans.

I grant you that both of these heroes could not have sprung into being without Supermans presence. Kamen Rider creator Shotaro Ishinomori was clearly influenced by the Man of the Steel since the very begining of his work.  Even to go so far as to have one incarnation of Kamen Rider known as Kamen Rider Stronger to bear an homage to Supermans \S/.

Yet Ultraman and Kamen Rider stand on their own as worldwide icons and beloved heroes to people of all ages across the globe.

I think the writer of that statement needs to poke his head out of the Anglosphere a bit more often and look around..

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 03:47:55 AM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
In Japan alone you have Kamen Rider and Ultraman whos various incarnations and series are shown all over the world (except in the United States) and to this very day garner new generations of fans.

Yeah, I thought the quote was pretty naive when I found it and that it would generate some discussion here.  Besides Japan, I would site Mexico as a country that has produced more than its fair share of superheroes.  As well, Canada has produced an entire slate of superheroes over the years --including Nelvana, the first female superhero:

http://www.time-cat.com/valentines.html

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Ultraman and Kamen Rider have been syndicated into the US, especially on the West Coast.  Heck, I'm in Canada and have a small collection of UM figures.

[/url]

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 12:35:28 PM »

The original Ultraman and Ultra Seven were dubbed in the 1970's and 1980's. I saw them on tv around the same time as TBS was showing Spectreman and Space Giants.  More recently, the Fox Box made a HORRIBLE dub of the 1997 series Ultraman Tiga. Dubbing in mother-in-law jokes over what is essentially a straight faced science fiction show on par with Star Trek only with monsters and a superhero making it a total farce.

Kamen Rider has not been brought over to the US, except once.  Saban the people who take footage of the previous years Super Sentai shows and turn it into Power Rangers also used footage from the 1987 series Kamen Rider Black RX and turned it into "Masked Rider".  The translation of the title from Kamen to Masked is where the simalirties between what Saban did and the actual series end.  Black RX is not even one of the greater shows in the Rider series but deserved a heck of alot better than this.  :cry:

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 03:55:03 PM »

Ultra Man first appeared on US TV during the mid-late 1960s (probably to cash in on Batman).  This was Ultra Man 1 created by Eiji Tsubaraya himself.  I watched it.

Ultra 7 was dubbed down under and used to run on TNT at 4 am in the 80s.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 04:25:40 PM »

Heres a interesting take on Mr I, Big Blue and others from our friends at National Geographic.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/11/1112_041112_incredible_superhero_science.html
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 04:23:38 AM »

Wow, neat article.  I just posted parts of another science-oriented Superman piece in the general Superman thread.  
http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1374

Science nerds and comics nerds interacting?  Could the end of the world be far now?

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L