superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zero hour  (Read 12354 times)
kina_angel
Superman Fan

« on: February 05, 2005, 09:04:37 PM »

Can someone please tell me what the hell Zero hour is all about? Is it just me or did DC not really think of that through. I am more confused than when I started reading it. A little help please?

I am just a beginner but an eager learner. Somebody teach me please.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 11:23:27 PM »

It's a poor man's Crisis, I read it and I can't tell you what's it all about or why DC even made them  :oops:  :?

I feel your pain

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 02:11:03 AM »

Zero Hour was intended to "fix" lingering continuity problems from the Crisis on Infinite Earths.  Some aftereffects of Zero Hour were the rebooting of the Legion of Super-Heroes, the downfall of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, the appointment of Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern, a gutting of the Justice Society of America, the elimination of Team Titans, and Batman not knowing "for certain" that Joe Chill killed his parents.

To fully understand the reasons for the Crisis and Zero Hour, here are some resources:

http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/hypertime.html

http://omega.animefringe.com/dcevents/zerohourfaq.txt

http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/hypertime.html

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/1185/atlas6.html

Hope this helps.  Recently some of Zero Hour's effects have been undone -- there's now ANOTHER Legion, Hal's returning, and the JSA got Hourman back.

DTO
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 02:38:51 AM »

I thought "Emerald Twilight" happened before Zero Hour.  In fact, it must have, since Hal is already Parallax, eventually revealed as the ultimate villain of the piece.

With that in mind, I'd say Hal's "downfall" was a done deal before this mini began...a hero can't fall much lower than comitting mass murder!  What WAS interesting was the oblique references to the Multiverse, which may count as the first ones to see print, post-Crisis.  Hal basically orchestrates Zero Hour in an attempt to return the pre-86 Multiverse to existence, which if nothing else makes this "event" memorable in that it's the only one where I ever rooted for the bad guy to win!

Overall, though, it was a mess.  Most of it made no sense, and many of the "bold changes" didn't last a month.  In fact even before it ended, Mark Waid, then writing "the Flash,"  ignored the changes Jurgens made to Jay Garrick.  In the end, the only thing that seems to have "stuck" is that several members of the JSA died in a miserably handled scene.  They deserved much better.

With Zero Hour, DC crossover events hit rock bottom.  And since then they've been digging...

This looks like a job for...
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 04:35:37 AM »

With Identity Crisis they gotta be passed the Earths core by now..

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 05:38:32 AM »

Amen to that. Remember when threats to the space-time continuum would be resolved by Superman all within the span of one issue, or one story in an Superman digest? Ah well.

Zero Hour was a bold experiment, a way of trying to streamline the DCU and make it a bit more cohesive in terms of continuity. But the thing nobody seems to get is that--by and large--not very many comics readers care much for continuity. But this was at a time when the Superman titles numbered four and Batman had about five, Justice League had been split off into about 4 versions and Teen Titans was operating side by side with Team Titans. . .and let's not even get started on the fits-and-starts reboots they'd tried on Hawkman. So an effort was made to 'fix' the various problems DC percieved, which resulted in things being Fixed This Time For Sure. . .only now we see that another Crisis is a-brewin', what with the arrival of Supergirl into canon as the third superhero to bear the name, Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen's return from the dead, and Luthor going from corporate mogul/President to armor-clad supervillain in the span of seven issues. DC's up to something again, and while I hope it's a return to more sensible comicbooks with the advent of the All-Star line, I'm fearful that this will be another attempt to pander to the graying of the audience, make superheroes more 'mature' despite their inherent fun, and just generally continue the downward spiral the medium's been in since Crisis.

But I'm not bitter. Wink

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 05:50:23 AM »

See I had that spark of hope for the All Star line for all of about two days.  Then I read that Frank Miller was who they were bringing in to write Batman.

So much for that idea.    Sad

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 06:06:43 AM »

Eh, Miller has his moments. As long as he can keep his Bitter down below 11, we should be fine. Oh, and if he writes I'M SORRY FOR DK2 500 times on the blackboard, all is forgiven. Tongue

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L