superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:00:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Encyclopaedia Updates  (Read 9154 times)
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 02:15:05 PM »

Regarding possible precursors to Lexcorp, I know that in the 2nd Kirk Alyn Superman serial (Atom Man vs. Superman), Luthor was the head of a corporation that handled the affairs of his television station.  The same station that hired Lois Lane as a TV newscaster.  I don't know if the actual name of his business was ever given, though.

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 12:11:00 AM »

Quote from: "The Starchild"
[It sounds like it's time for DC to publish expanded and updated editions - ones that include all of Fleisher's material, but add to it, bringing it all the way up to 1986.

It looks like this site is the only place such an updated edition will exist, given the current editorial and corporate emphasis at DC/Warner.

An encyclopedia of DC characters was published last year and it is horrible --inaccurate and based only on material generated for the most part since 1986 (and even here it is inconsistent).  Not to mention that the original took Fleisher 10 years of compiling.

Awhile back (like, 1996) I started taking notes after I read or re-read any post-64 Superman family title, with the idea of updating the encyclopedia.  I would suggest that users of this site do the same and submit the results to Rao --an open-source-style project to rival the Wikipedia.  As has been noted, none of the Superboy, Supergirl, Legion, Lois or Jimmy material was covered in the original edition.  We could overpower the post-Crisis world-view through sheer quantity of information available!  

Any thoughts, Great Rao?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 02:35:34 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Any thoughts, Great Rao?

My first thought is that you are an absolute GENIUS.

I have many more thoughts, but they shouldn't take up space in this thread.  We should take it to the new topic area.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 04:51:28 PM »

Just to close this "Encyclopaedia Updates" thread:

The bad news - there will be no more Encyclopaedia Updates here at Superman Through the Ages!

The good news - that's because we're migrating it to Supermanica, where we hope that it will be expanded and updated through the assistance of a lot of people - maybe even yourself included! Smiley

There have already been quite a few updates there in the last couple of days alone, the latest ones can always be seen at Supermanica's "Recent changes" page.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L