superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:44:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Encyclopaedia Updates  (Read 9156 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 08, 2005, 02:15:54 AM »

I've added an Encyclopaedia entry for Professor Potter.  The text is from The Great Superman Book, but there were no pictures for this entry.  Hopfully something will turn up eventually.

Also, does anyone feel like writing something up for the Future Superman of 2965?  Looks like Fleisher missed him completely.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 03:31:28 AM »

I could do it but writing about one's self would make me seem a "piffle-diffle".  Wink

Here's a link to an entry at The Silver Age Legion of Super Heroes (who else to know the inner workings of the 30th Century?) and Im sure if your dropped them a line, they'd love to help.   Jo & Tinya rock! Cheesy

Tell 'em ol' Klar (so daringly different!) sent ya.  :lol:
The S! 2965 link.
http://members.shaw.ca/legion_of_super-heroes/alternate_legions/future_superman.htm

The main site (via time bubble, natch)
http://www.members.shaw.ca/legion_of_super-heroes/

BTW I have part 1 of the Muto in AC and the WF teamup with Future bats (what's HIS motivation?) - intersting fare.
ProfPotter
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 05:26:14 PM »

Thanks!

Of course, one of The Great Superman Book's failings is that it only covered the stories from Superman, Action, and World's Finest, and left out ones from Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Superboy, and Adventure.  It also only covered up to 1967, if my absent-minded brain recalls correctly.

For instance, one of my appearances is online at the Jimmy Olsen Story Archive site, available here.  It is the "Jimmy Olsen Grows Up" story (Jimmy Olsen #47).

My first appearance was in Jimmy Olsen #22, in "The Super-Brain of Jimmy Olsen", in August 1957.  I believe my first cover appearance was Jimmy Olsen #33.  My last appearance was Superman No. 413 in November 1985.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 10:34:40 PM »

Added an entry for Lexcorp to the Encyclopaedia.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 11:45:31 PM »

Awesome updates!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 03:45:29 AM »

Actually Fleischer's book only goes up to 1964, so assuming DC stuck to their usual gimmick of setting things exactly a thousand years in the future, I think we can guess why the Superman of 2965 got missed!

Kind of a pain, really, as so many Weisinger era inventions were still to come in 1965 and beyond.  But not as irritating as having the Batman Encyclopedia also end in 1964...the very year when things started to get interesting!

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 05:58:10 AM »

TELLE - thanks!

ProfPotter, thanks very much for the info and for the links.  I managed to get a picture of you for your entry - and also added a picture to the Lexcorp entry while I was at it.

S!

The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 06:48:31 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Actually Fleischer's book only goes up to 1964, so assuming DC stuck to their usual gimmick of setting things exactly a thousand years in the future, I think we can guess why the Superman of 2965 got missed!

Kind of a pain, really, as so many Weisinger era inventions were still to come in 1965 and beyond.  But not as irritating as having the Batman Encyclopedia also end in 1964...the very year when things started to get interesting!

It sounds like it's time for DC to publish expanded and updated editions - ones that include all of Fleisher's material, but add to it, bringing it all the way up to 1986.

Professor Potter's first appearance was in 1957 - after the George Reeves Adventures of Superman show.  So was Potter intended to be Professor Pepperwinkle, or was he just inspired by Pepperwinkle?  And were there any other versions of this Professor character besides Pepperwinkle, Potter, and Hamilton?

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L