superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preliminary thoughts  (Read 21945 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 11:25:33 PM »

It looks great!

It would be great to have Bill 9000 do a drawing for every character in order to keep a consisted uniform look. Of course he should get billing as the illustrator for the site so that he can use it for his resume/art portfolio and get assignments from it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 02:21:25 AM »

This is a fun idea! I'll be glad to contribute entries as time allows.  Also, let us know if you need entries transcribed from Fleischer's book and if so which ones.

I'd cut off this expanded history with the last pre-Byrne issues; the few issues between "Crisis" and "Man of Steel" may not technically be the Superman of Earth 1, but then Fleischer's book treated him as one guy from 38 to 64 anyway.  

That creates another conundrum for you; how to acknowledge the meetings between Kal-El and Kal-L when Fleischer's book -- with it's '64 cut-off -- never dealt with multiple Earths.  They did meet several times in several titles.

If it were up to me, I'd include stuff from "DC Comics Presents" and especially "World's Finest" as that title built on the Kandor legends.  But again, if we're to follow Fleischer's model, we should limit it to Superman and Action.  Otherwise we'd have to back and fill for the years of those titles that he left out, right?  And it's a big enough job filling in 65-86 without going in and expanding his pre-64 coverage, too.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 04:30:59 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
This is a fun idea! I'll be glad to contribute entries as time allows.  Also, let us know if you need entries transcribed from Fleischer's book and if so which ones.

Great, thanks.  Just check out the list of entries, and whatever's not there yet still needs to be done.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 08:43:23 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
In another thread, TELLE writes:

Awhile back (like, 1996) I started taking notes after I read or re-read any post-64 Superman family title, with the idea of updating the encyclopedia. I would suggest that users of this site do the same and submit the results to Rao --an open-source-style project to rival the Wikipedia. As has been noted, none of the Superboy, Supergirl, Legion, Lois or Jimmy material was covered in the original edition. We could overpower the post-Crisis world-view through sheer quantity of information available!

If enough poeple express an interest in possibly participating in this possible project, I can look into setting up mediawiki -- that big dynamic database based multi-user updated thing that Wikipedia, Wiktionary, etc. all use.

S!

Wow.  This is the first time in my life someone has gone to such lengths based on a small suggestion I made (not counting that time 10 years ago when I proposed to my then-girlfriend).

Rao, you have already done so much, I don't know where to begin.  I wasn't very familiar with the various online encyclopedias when I made my suggestion but one of the things that always bothered me was the general lack of documentation, something that plagues most info on the web --this is amplified by the open-access nature of the project.  However, I trust classic Superman fans to follow the model to the letter, with the Fleisher example to lead us, issue numbers and dates included.

The new site looks good but I had trouble navigating.  Is there going to be a browse function or at least an alphabetical index?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 01:41:06 PM »

Think I'll get to work on Halk Kar and Wonder Man next.

Who goes there?!
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 02:28:24 PM »

Bill, I can't wait to see those pictures!  This whole project is a fantastic idea, and I'm very glad that you're going to be one of the participants.

I noticed that you (or someone) changed the caption for your Superman picture to read, "Superman, the classic Pre-Crisis Man of Steel"

Now it seems to me that if one of the points of this encyclopedia is to overwhelm all the post-crisis fans with the sheer amount, wonder, and beauty of pre-crisis material, why are we acknowledging and validating the post-crisis version at all? Why bring him up? The site isn't about the post-crisis character, so why mention him at all? Wouldn't it be better if the caption just read something like, "Superman, the Man of Steel - illustration by Bill 9000" or something?

Just my 2 cents.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 03:10:50 PM »

Hmm ... you have a valid point. I'll make that change right now. Thanks for the advice, Starchild. Think I'll just put the caption "Superman - illustration by Bill 9000" and that should be the standard that I use when captioning the illustrations.

Who goes there?!
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 04:29:17 PM »

I couldn't resist. I added the text on Wonder-Man for the site. Please take a read and tell me if you find it acceptable.

Who goes there?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L