superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:33:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Save Superman  (Read 11434 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 08:35:50 AM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
I seriously doubt Miller can be trusted to write an iconic, all audiences version of the character which is what All Stars mission is supposed to be. Esepcially not when he' touting that it'll be part of his DKR universe.  If this Batman is the psychopathic yutz from DKR and DK2 then I don't really have alot of hope for it.

Morrison and Miller clearly have very different agendas for their respective character. Morrison wants the Superman who had fantastic adventures where anything was possible and there was a sense of hope. Miller, on the other hand, has always written Batman as very dark and violent. I like both of those interpretations, as crazy as that sounds.

Miller is my second-favorite Batman writer, just below Denny O'Neil. I LOVED Y1 and DKR (but I greatly disliked DKSA). My only complaint with Miller's portrayal of Batman is that he makes him far too antagonistic towards Superman. The two should certainly argue over methods (sometimes even heatedly) but should always have a mutual respect and friendship with one another. Superman should admire the fact that Batman does all the things he does without any powers. Batman, on the other hand, should admire Superman for the hope he instills in people and for all the times he saved the planet.

That's just my opinion, though.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 03:25:41 AM »

I'm afraid that one of the major things that hurt Birthright will hurt All-Star. Namely the artist. In Batmans case, the writer.

Frank Miller is, in my mind, the very reason Batman's been unreadable since 1986. His ultra-psycho near-villain take on the character grates on my nerves.

As for Birthright, I'll admit that Leinil Francis Yu's art isn't for everyone. But it's hardly the reason why the book was slaughtered when it came out. First off, DC couldn't make up its mind if the book was "Ultimate Superman" or the new official origin, and they didn't decide until the series was almost over. Secondly, the book got little to no promotional support from DC, espeiclaly since they were touting the Byrne version's arrival in TPB during Birthright's publication. And thirdly--and most importantly--a gaggle of fanatical Byrne-supporters campaigned viciously against the book simply because it changed the origin away from Byrne, going so far as to spread hate against the book across the 'Net at every opportunity. (The ringleader of the bunch, a guy called "Man of the Atom" went so far as to claim that Siegel and Shuster got Superman all wrong in the first place and that only the Byrne/Jurgens incarnation from 1986-1999 is "the ONE TRUE SUPERMAN" or "the GOOD version of Superman.") It was attacked simply because it wasn't Byrne's vision. And the attacks paid off.

Will All-Stars meet the same fate? Possibly. Already the hardcore Byrne followers (who've earned some very fitting--if harsh--group names) are crying "Silver Age" and calling the book "outdated Scooby-Doo tripe," whilst propping up "cool, interesting" junk like Chuck Austen and Brian Azzarello's "For Tomorrow" (which most other folks can't understand). The Iron Age won't end so long as some fans refuse to let comics evolve out of it. And some fans are bent on making sure the Iron Age remains permanent, and have said as much. I should know, because I've butted heads with them at various newsgroups.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 04:23:26 AM »

Man the internet must be shrinking. I've seen MOTA in action as well...

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 04:28:23 AM »

Did he pull the "Siegel and Shuster got Superman all wrong; Byrne know the character better than they did" line on you, too?

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 04:54:39 AM »

MOTA is infamous among those who frequent comic message boards because of his trollish behavior. I too have had the misfortune of coming into contact with him.

The good news is that he was banned from the DC Message Boards after calling Gail Simone a name I won't bother repeating here. As far as I'm concerned, his banning was a long time coming.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 06:03:58 AM »

well, don't give him the time of day here folks, nobody cares or should care about what someone like that thinks, so just let it go and have fun here.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Daybreaker
Supermen of America

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 08:32:54 PM »

I like Grant Morrison a lot, so I'm looking forward to this.  However, I get a somewhat different feeling as to what's going to happen, style-wise.  Morrison is not a fluffy-bunny kind of writer.  I'd say he's way over on the Frank Miller end of the spectrum (which I mean as a compliment -- but then I haven't read The Dark Knight Strikes Again yet).
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 01:38:15 AM »

Quote from: "Daybreaker"
I'd say he's way over on the Frank Miller end of the spectrum (which I mean as a compliment -- but then I haven't read The Dark Knight Strikes Again yet).

I'd recommend that you don't read it. It's nowhere near the level of greatness that we saw in DKR and Y1.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L