superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:02:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Superman Archive and more new books  (Read 5923 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: February 15, 2005, 02:22:42 AM »

SUPERMAN IN ACTION COMICS ARCHIVES VOL. 4
Written by Jerry Siegel and Don Cameron; Art by Jack Burnley, Sam Citron, John Sikela and others; Cover by Citron

A new volume collecting ACTION COMICS #53-68 (1942-1945) featuring an intro by William Schelly! This volume contains classic Golden Age tales — many reprinted for the first time — including the first appearance of the Toyman, the return of the Prankster, and more!

DC Universe  |  224pg.  |  Color  |  Hardcover  |  $49.99 US

On Sale May 4, 2005

THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER-HEROES
Written by Paul Dini and Alex Ross; Art and cover by Ross

You can't afford to miss this massive slipcased hardcover you've been waiting for, featuring the stunning art of the Eisner Award-winning team of the incomparable Alex Ross & writer Paul Dini! Between 1998 and 2003, Paul Dini, the Emmy Award-winning producer of Batman Beyond and The New Batman/Superman Adventures, joined forces with superstar illustrator Alex Ross to create six oversized tabloid editions of stories featuring the World's Greatest Super-Heroes: SUPERMAN: PEACE ON EARTH, BATMAN: WAR ON CRIME, SHAZAM!: POWER OF HOPE, WONDER WOMAN: SPIRIT OF TRUTH, JLA: SECRET ORIGINS, and JLA: LIBERTY And JUSTICE. These classic works for all ages feature the iconic DC characters in a unique storytelling format that combines aspects of both comics and picture books. Also included are several pages of promotional art, preliminary art and thumbnails, art done for DC Direct product, model-to-finished-painting comparisons, reflections by the book's creators, and much more! This landmark volume also features an introduction by noted book designer and author Chip Kidd, a new painted cover by Alex Ross, and an 8-page foldout of the JLA: LIBERTY And JUSTICE poster featuring every member of the JLA by Ross.

DC Universe  |  396pg.  |  Color  |  Oversized Slipcased Hardcover  |  $49.99 US

On Sale July 6, 2005

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 02:28:53 AM »

and just for laughs:

ACTION COMICS #827
Written by Gail Simone; Art by John Byrne and Nelson; Cover by Byrne

Legendary artist John Byrne returns to illustrate the adventures of the Man of Steel, joined by fan-favorite writer Gail Simone (BIRDS OF PREY) and inker Nelson (TEEN TITANS)! Expect high adventure, slam-bang action and insightful character moments as Superman faces both new and familiar threats.

It all kicks off in this issue as Dr. Polaris seeks Superman's protection from a new mistress of magnetism: Repulse!

BTW, yes this is the real text, oh the irony! The final word says it all.

Here is the cover, I think it looks terrible.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 01:50:56 PM »

What is it with Byrne and making sure Supermans cape gets slashed up all the freakin time?! I got so sick of Superman running around with nothing but scraps and thread left on his shoulders during most of an issue because Byrne would make sure to ruin it at the begining of the battle.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 06:25:10 PM »

Kuuga, ever since Byrne's "The Man of Steel" Superman's costume isn't made from invulnerable Kryptonian fabric.  Superman's "aura" protects his costume for the most part, but the cape doesn't come in close contact with his skin.

This may have changed in the poat-Birthright world, but apparently Byrne hasn't been told about that yet.  ;-)

DTO
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 06:42:41 PM »

dto, I don't think Kuuga was commenting on how Superman's cape could be torn to shreds, but more on why is Byrne obsessed with doing so?  As if it's somehow "cool."  :roll:   Personally, I think it's more cool that the cape is indestructible and will still be around in a million years, worn by a wandering blind bard, after the rest of us are long gone.

Byrne really lives in his own universe.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 12:32:35 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
Kuuga, ever since Byrne's "The Man of Steel" Superman's costume isn't made from invulnerable Kryptonian fabric.  Superman's "aura" protects his costume for the most part, but the cape doesn't come in close contact with his skin.

This may have changed in the poat-Birthright world, but apparently Byrne hasn't been told about that yet.  ;-)

I would bet that the last Superman comic he read was the last one he wrote.
 :wink:

Byrne really lives in his own universe.

yes, kind of like Bob Haney, except that Bob Haney is actually really cool and a cult hero since he is so insane, while Byrne is just sad and annoying Wink

- Elliot S! Maggin
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 01:10:45 PM »

Sorry, but that cover makes Superman look like he's constipated. Plus, I really can't stand the constantly torn cape bit anymore.

Who goes there?!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 01:33:45 PM »

That torn cape does a great job of visually sumarizing everything that John Byrne did to Superman.  His aim is destruction.

But I'm really looking forward to the archive!  The first story in the first issue (Action No. 53) is "The Man Who Put Out the Sun!," with art by John Sikela, and I'm wondering if that story was the basis for "The Man Who Stole the Sun!" that Curt Swan drew for the 3-D issue in the fifties.  Now I'll finally get a chance to read it.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L