superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:17:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The All-Star Superman cover art revealed!  (Read 8988 times)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 12:08:05 AM »

I'm still not fond of Quietlys figure drawing artstyle and the whole "past his bum" thing with the cape concerns me. Not sure about that take on the \S/ either as I was begining to enjoy the knobless version that had been floating around since Birthright.

But I do very much enjoy the concept behind that cover, the great color work and a breathtaking skyscape.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 01:47:43 AM »

That's beautiful! Easily the best Superman cover in quite a while. I can't wait for this book.
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 03:11:01 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
The cover art for issue number one:

I'm normally not a fan of Frank Quitely, but I have to confess...this is an amazing image. There's been so many cover images of an angsty, whiny, or angry Superman that it's actually nice to see him totally at ease for a change. And the attitude he's giving off is very George Reeves. I approve.

As someone who's been fed up with the post-Crisis comics for a long time, I hope this series delivers on its promise to get Superman back to basics. I'd like to see a heroic, confident man of two worlds for a change instead of Super-Peter Parker.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 03:35:26 AM »

Well maybe All Star will provide a healthy alternative to a general audience and readers looking for something iconic while DC is content to spiral their mainline further into "mature reader" hell.  I expect the female characters of the DCU to be all either killed or raped at least once before the end of the decade.

I was just at Superman Homepage looking at their IC retrospective and I love how the usual "kids don't read comics anymore" is touted as justification for going in the exclusively "adult" direction. (and as usual adult here means gory and overly self concious).  Does it never occur to them that the only reason kids don't read comics has less to do with video games and more to do with the past 20 years of comics doing everything they can to boot them out as a potential audience? With only the occasional underwhelming sop to them like the Adventures line that DC obviously could give a squirt about. Yet they have the nerve to wonder why sales are down. Hmmm...

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 04:16:12 AM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Well maybe All Star will provide a healthy alternative to a general audience and readers looking for something iconic while DC is content to spiral their mainline further into "mature reader" hell.  I expect the female characters of the DCU to be all either killed or raped at least once before the end of the decade.

I was just at Superman Homepage looking at their IC retrospective and I love how the usual "kids don't read comics anymore" is touted as justification for going in the exclusively "adult" direction. (and as usual adult here means gory and overly self concious).  Does it never occur to them that the only reason kids don't read comics has less to do with video games and more to do with the past 20 years of comics doing everything they can to boot them out as a potential audience? With only the occasional underwhelming sop to them like the Adventures line that DC obviously could give a squirt about. Yet they have the nerve to wonder why sales are down. Hmmm...

Well, Brad Meltzer admitted that his original idea for Identity Crisis was that Deathstroke would slit Zatanna's throat instead of just sucker-punching her, but he decided it was too easy an out. Considering how Zatanna is pretty much the DCU's official sex symbol, I don't think that would have gone over too well....

As for comics ignoring kids and sales being down, you'd be amazed by how many fans have openly stated that they don't want new readers coming in and that new readers aren't needed. The attitude they have is that they alone are the lifeblood of the industry, and they should get to keep it to themselves. They're also the ones complaining that comics are getting too "kiddie" or "too Silver Age" and that trash-fests like Identity Crisis and its negative fallout on the whole DCU is desperately needed to bring more "maturity" to the comics. The current hardcore readership doesn't want kids coming in, and since kids aren't coming in, DC caters to the fanboys. A vicious cycle of self-destruction, if you ask me. I remember challenging this fan mindset a while back, and I got told that they don't care if comics die out due to lack of new readership, so long as they get the comics THEY want.

And since most adults couldn't be bothered to read comics (you can tell them about the adult, award-winning works in the industry, but they'll still dismiss them as kids' stuff and not give them a second look), what's the point of making comics "adults only"?

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L