superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSuperman Through the Ages!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:05:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman and his Incredible FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE!  (Read 9725 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 21, 2005, 02:57:45 AM »

I have this over-sized treasury edition, "SUPERMAN and his incredible FORTRESS of SOLITUDE!" which contains a 64 page story by Roy Thomas that was basically designed as a vehicle to give a complete rundown of the history and contents of Superman's Fortress of Solitude.   It also introduces the villainous DOMINUS and his sidekick, Roger.

I've been scanning it in, but since it's so big, I have to scan different segments of the pages and then paste them together, which is very time consuming.

Here is the cover and the first 11 pages.  The rest of it will be online eventually...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:44:32 AM by The Starchild » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 05:09:04 AM »

Pretty lame reason for not having a fortress in space.  And he blew a star?  Huh?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 07:05:55 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Pretty lame reason for not having a fortress in space.  And he blew a star?  Huh?

My impression of this story is that it's basically a vehicle for summarizing all the significant Fortress of Solitude stories in one location.  It's a bit difficult to read the narration box, but it looks like the blowing a star thing happened in Action 261.  And we're reading a one page summary of the events, not the complete story, so we don't know the details.  Action 261 was published in 1960, right on the cusp of the Silver Age, but probably still taking place in a crazy 1950s reality.  Most likely it was "Superman's Fortress of Solitude" which was written by Jerry Siegel and illustrated by Wayne Boring.

At any rate, I really like the big scenic spreads by Ross Andru - very nice!

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 02:15:21 AM »

Yep ... nobody draws Big Blue (or Spider-Man, for that matter) quite like Ross Andru. That was one of the big joys about owning a copy of Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man. I got to see Ross Andru draw both the Man of Steel and the Web-Slinger in TABLOID format!  Cheesy

Who goes there?!
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 03:53:28 AM »

Ross did some great work, for both Marvel and DC.  I remember very fondly his Metal Men stories.  The book just wasn't the same without him.  Even the great Gil Kane couldn't do Metal Men like Ross could.

Captain Marbles
Superman's Pal

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 12:13:28 PM »

So, are you going to finish posting this story soon?

"'Shazoom'?!  Vas ist das 'Shazoom'?!"

Superduperman, from Tales Calculated To Drive You Mad #4
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »

So, are you going to finish posting this story soon?

Probably not.  I started putting it on the site in order to show how cool Superman's Fortress is, and how integral it is to his character and his history.

Now that DC has given Superman his Fortress back, there's no pressing need to continue it.

Unfortunately my few Treasury Editions are buried away in storage somewhere and I don't know where my copy of the comic currently is, nor am I absolutely certain that I still own it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:14:41 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L