superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:34:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Create your ultimate SUPERMAN dream cast!  (Read 6458 times)
King Krypton
Superman Family

« on: February 22, 2005, 06:40:02 AM »

Back in the days of the old AOL DC MBs, it was kind of a running gag to do this. So I thought I'd bring it here, if you guys don't mind.

The conceit is this: You have the power and money to make the Superman movie of your dreams. Even time is not an object; you can pick actors from any era and put them together in your film. Want to have Brad Pitt slug it out with Victor Slezak? Go for it. Want to have Cary Grant put the moves on Heather Graham? No problem. Basically, anything goes. Whoever you want to cast, you can cast no matter what era the actors are from. So, given the opportunity, who would you cast for the ultimate Superman movie?

Here's my cast list. I've had some of these choices in mind ever since I was a kid.
 :wink:

Lord Kal-El/Clark Kent/Superman - Tyrone Power
Lois Lane - Linda Darnell
Perry White - John Hamilton
Jimmy Olsen - Ron Howard (circa Happy Days)
Lord Jor-El - Charlton Heston (circa Ben-Hur)
Lara Lor-Van - Olivia DeHavilland
Jonathan Kent - Tom Selleck
Martha Kent - Diane Keaton
Lana Lang - Ann-Margret (circa Viva Las Vegas)
Kara In-Ze/Supergirl - Elisabeth Harnois (the super-sexy star of Point Pleasant, who I've had a major crush on for years)
John Henry Irons/Steel – Brock Peters (circa To Kill a Mockingbird)
Lex Luthor - Yul Brynner
Brainiac - Vincent Price
General Dru-Zod - Basil Rathbone
Parasite - Woody Harrelson
Metallo - Malcolm McDowell (circa A Clockwork Orange)
Manchester Black - Ewan McGregor
Prometheus - Alan Rickman
Darkseid - Ving Rhames
Bizarro - Rock Hudson (circa Pillow Talk)
Ugly Bruno Mannheim - Treat Williams
Morgan Edge - James Spader
Mongul - André the Giant
Lobo - Macho Man Randy Savage
Magog (from Kingdom Come) - Ron Perlman

(I also did a JLA one with Power as Superman, by the way.)

Anyway, that's more or less how the "ultimate dream casting" idea goes. So how about you? What would be YOUR ultimate dream cast for Superman?

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 03:07:41 AM »

Um...any takers? :oops:

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:30:52 AM »

Alright, here's mine, off the top of my head.

Superman: Billy Zane
Lois Lane: Mary Steenburg
Perry White: Ed Asner
Brainiac: Tim Curry
Jor-El: Sean Connery

That's all for now.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 03:48:19 PM »

Clark Kent/Superman: Always an unknown. Always.

Lois Lane: Dana Delany (circa China Beach)

Perry White: Ed Asner

Jimmy Olsen: Ron Howard (only younger than Richie Cunningham but older than Opie Taylor.)

Lex Luthor: Gene Hackman (sans wig and leisure suit, though in context it was alot of fun).

Brainiac: Yul Brynner

Pa Kent: Richard Dysart

Ma Kent: Diana Muldar

Jor-El: Marlon Brando (only younger...and slimmer)

Lara: Elizabeth Taylor (ditto).

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 06:14:12 PM »

Kinda funny that we both had Ron Howard and Yul Brynner on our cast lists in some capacity....  :lol:

Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 04:47:49 AM »

Quote from: "King Krypton"
Kinda funny that we both had Ron Howard and Yul Brynner on our cast lists in some capacity....  :lol:

Actually Ron Howard I got from your list because if we're picking from any era theres just really nobody else I can think of offhand who could capture the look and personality of Jimmy. I'd just want him a bit younger mainly because I enjoy it more when characters like Jimmy, Robin, and Billy Batson are portrayed as very early teen rather than late teens, early 20's.

As for Yul, the guy just looks like Brainiac to me. It's just very very easy for me to envison him with the electrodes on his head.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 11:56:25 PM »

i would choose:

kal-el/clark kent/superman - christopher reeve.   i generally dislike the superman movies he was in for reasons that were beyond his control.  it would be interesting to see him in a superman movie that is done right.

jor-el - christopher reeve.  in the comics jor-el was always kal's near twin.

lex luthor - lyle talbot.  the best portrayal of lex ever outside of the comics.

general dru-zod - lyle talbot.  luthor & zod were near twins appearnce-wise in the comics.  except for eye color (zod's eyes were brown, & lex's were blue.) they looked alike.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Jor-L
Superman Fan

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 06:18:40 AM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
   kal-el/clark kent/superman - christopher reeve.   i generally dislike the superman movies he was in for reasons that were beyond his control.  it would be interesting to see him in a superman movie that is done right.

jor-el - christopher reeve.  in the comics jor-el was always kal's near twin.
THANK YOU. I have always said this! Why was Jor-El cast as an old man? Marlon Brando was obviously younger in 1978, but was no spring chicken! Jor-El and Kal-El should definitely be played by the same person.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L