superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:41:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Preliminary thoughts  (Read 8094 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« on: February 21, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »

Q for Rao:

Are you planning to link entries from the Supermanica to the stories online here? i.e. entry on Peter Ross links to Pete's stories here in the context of the entry.

Know wot a mean? :wink:
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 12:19:11 AM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Are you planning to link entries from the Supermanica to the stories online here? i.e. entry on Peter Ross links to Pete's stories here in the context of the entry.

I haven't really made a decision on that.  I don't want to go overboard, but it could be useful.  The Professor Potter entry lists one of his stories as an "external link" at the bottom of the page; doing story links in that manner might be the way to go.  Or, as you suggest, the two sites (Supermanica and STTA) could become tightly integrated with links back and forth all over the place, but that might not be a good idea.  Or we could just have no links at all and treat the sites as completely separate entities.  Which, in a strong sense, they are.  I still think of STTA as pretty much my own soapbox (although at this point I guess it's gotten to be  bit more than that), while Supermanica is much more of a group effort.  STTA includes unpublished stories and post-Crisis stories and other media (movies, etc) and fan fiction and real-world stuff -- anything I like, really.  But Supermanica on the other hand is strictly pre-Crisis published canonical comic books.  Regardless of the details, I think the sites are somehow different.  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 02:14:12 AM »

I think it's best that Supermanica and STTA remain pretty much separate entities. Supermanica is, as the name suggests, a maxi-encyclopedia that will eventually (I hope) encompass everything about the Pre-Crisis Superman's mythology, while STTA is a really cool hang-out that has loads of production facts, a great forum, and fabulous online comics to read (which I take advantage of during my lunch hours, by the way).

Who goes there?!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 03:27:28 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
But Supermanica on the other hand is strictly pre-Crisis published canonical comic books.  Regardless of the details, I think the sites are somehow different.  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
S!

I don't know, I kind of like the idea of reading the entry and then being able to click on the specific story reference in parentheses to actually read the story.  Of course STTA has only a limited number of these stories compared to the number that will eventually be referred to in the Encyclopedia, but its a start.  Totally interactive, not hermetically sealed.  I would draw the line at this sort of linking, however.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 07:32:16 PM »

Im with Telle -for instance if one reads the entry on "Compy" - maybe a DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE? tab could link them to the stories here.

Canonical stories only, natch.  :wink: [/b]
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 08:08:23 PM »

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE?

Heh! Reminds me of the TV News Network from Starship Troopers.  :wink:

Who goes there?!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 09:17:35 PM »

Quote from: "Bill 9000"
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE?

Heh! Reminds me of the TV News Network from Starship Troopers.  :wink:

Exactly!
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 02:16:26 AM »

Well, on second thought, maybe it would be a good idea to link the various entries via a tab or some such thing to the stories that are on display here. It would set our encyclopedia apart from most of them that are already out there.

Who goes there?!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L