superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ben Affleck and Diane Lane cast in George Reeves biopic  (Read 8700 times)
King Krypton
Superman Family

« on: February 22, 2005, 06:56:02 PM »

Ben Affleck and Diane Lane Seek Truth
Source: Variety February 22, 2005

Ben Affleck will play George Reeves, the doomed 50s' star of TV's Superman, in "Truth, Justice and the American Way," reports Variety. Diane Lane will portray Toni Mannix, a studio executive's wife who may or may not have been romantically involved with the actor. The film co-stars Adrien Brody as a detective investigating the actor's death.

The Focus Features project starts shooting this summer, with Allen Coulter directing. The film was written by Paul Bernbaum, with a final draft by Howard Korder.

Bernbaum's script details the investigation into Reeves' mysterious 1959 death in Hollywood, as well as the actor's complex relationship with the iconic role that propelled him to stardom.

Script also centers on Reeves' complex relationship with the iconic role that propelled him to stardom.

"May or may not"? Is this even a question? Reeves and Mannix were lovers, full stop. Everybody who knew him has gone on record with this. I don't know why Variety is making this out to be some weird rumor.

At any rate, I'm willing to give Affleck a shot as Reeves. And Diane Lane's a LOT better looking than the real Mannix ever was, so the eye candy will be much appreciated.
 :wink: I wonder how the rest of the casting will go, and if we'll see any recreations of the making of the series along the way....

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 04:07:35 PM »

Hey, are you the same King Krypton from the 66 Batman message boards?  It can't be coincidence that a KK started this thread there, too.

I'm known as "Stately_Wayne" over there.

This looks like a job for...
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 01:18:51 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Hey, are you the same King Krypton from the 66 Batman message boards?  It can't be coincidence that a KK started this thread there, too.

I'm known as "Stately_Wayne" over there.

I never would have known it was you. I didn't recognize you with the "Nightwing" moniker.

Yup, it's me. Nice to see you here.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 05:39:06 AM »

Is this a feature or a made for TV? :roll:

Theres a Batman 66 board? :shock:
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 08:03:33 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Is this a feature or a made for TV? :roll:

Theres a Batman 66 board? :shock:

Theatrical. And yes, there's a forum for the old Batman series:
http://www.workshirtsales.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl/YaBB.pl

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 08:13:18 PM »

King Krypton wrote:

I never would have known it was you. I didn't recognize you with the "Nightwing" moniker.

Yep, when I'm not in Gotham, this is the name I use at home...in Kandor.  Smiley  I was always intrigued by the way the "Nightwing" persona tied in bits of Superman and Batman lore all in one (a fact Dick Grayson noted when he stole the name for himself).  As a fan whose always had trouble picking between the two, it's a good compromise.  

On the other hand, it's a lot harder to hide a super-powered gorilla, so I recognized you right away! Cheesy

Klar Ken T5477 writes:

Is this a feature or a made for TV?

That's what I was wondering.  Much as I love George, somehow it's hard to believe his story would rate a theatrical release. (On the other hand, I wouldn't have thought Robert Crane would rate one either, but he got one!).  But Ben Affleck in a made-for-TV film?  I mean, I know he's in a career tailspin, but is it that bad already?

Theres a Batman 66 board?

Yes, there's a board attached to David Sutton's venerable Batman tribute site, dedicated to the Adam West series.  You can find it here:

http://www.workshirtsales.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

You need to join the group to post or even see anything (the unfortunate fall-out of some trouble-makers in the past), but it's a great group of folks and something of a virtual "family" of fans. And trust me if there's anything you ever wanted to know about the show -- no matter how obscure or arcane -- you can learn it on this board.

This looks like a job for...
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 11:57:43 PM »

On the other hand, it's a lot harder to hide a super-powered gorilla, so I recognized you right away!

OK, confession time...I had no idea "King Krypton" was the name of a superpowered gorilla when I first decided to use the name as one of my MB handles (I also go by "Emerald Eclipse" on some sites). Back in 1999, I needed an ID to register with eBay, and I thought King Krypton would be a good handle. I didn't find out about the super-gorilla of the same name until years later. At the time, I just thought it sounded cool.

Let's hear it for total ignorance.
 :lol:

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 01:03:12 AM »

darn dirty apes... all you ever do is claim ignorance... oh wait..

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L