superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonTomorrow's Lesson!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:01:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supermanica new entries  (Read 27925 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2005, 09:29:58 PM »

Bill, this may not even apply to your comment.  But I'd like to clear up any possible confusion: I have no objection to people scanning and uploading cover images - but I don't think we should be taking them from other sites - especially not from comics.org which, like Supermanica, is an open-source public project.  It looks like many different people have put a lot of effort into that site.  I really don't know how they would feel about having the material used elsewhere.  Maybe they would mind, maybe they wouldn't.  But why duplicate their work?  Comics.org is an invaluable complete reference tool (which we can use to find out character appearances for our own research, dates of issue numbers, story titles, etc.), but it doesn't have biographic information - and that's our purvue.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2005, 03:54:47 AM »

Agreed.

By the way, I noticed you went back to your "red sun" look. Why the change? And another question that I couldn't readily find an answer for: Does the Winkpedia format have the capability of handling PDF files? I ask because it might be neat (not to mention a savings on space and bandwidth) to allow folks to be able to read a PDF file of the diagrams of the Fortress of Solitude that I'm planning to revamp.

Who goes there?!
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2005, 04:53:07 AM »

Whew! Finally finished. Here's everyone's favorite super-ape, and newly posted to his entry at Supermanica: Titano! I based him on the original Wayne Boring illustrations of him in Superman Vol. 1 #127.

Who goes there?!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2005, 05:24:33 AM »

Awesome!

As far as artwork from other sites and for this site goes, here is my take:

My original idea was to ultimately have Bill 9000 do all the artwork. I hope that some day this happen (no need to rush,  good art takes time), so that the Supermanica will be unique. That is the ultimate goal. In other words, one day it will be ALL original artwork, with no scans! Fully updated and complete entries. Of course this may take years!

It's better to use your own scans whenever you can. You could use art from other sites as placeholders (they will be deleted once Bill 9000 gets to the entry) but try to change them and make them your own even then, so it is not a total rip off. People worked hard to find those comics and scan them in, we should all do our own thing. So that we can have something to be proud of and worthy of Superman!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2005, 08:07:26 AM »

I like both Bill 9000 and trhe originals --how better to see the exact text we are referring to in our citations?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2005, 01:32:29 PM »

I agree with Beppo, I'd love to see the entire project illustrated by Bill 9000, if he's willing.  But that doesn't preclude having additional pictures in the entries to flush them out.

Bill, I'm not sure because I haven't tried it, but I think you can upload non-image files - like PDFs, etc. I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere in one of the online mediawiki manuals.  So you could probably have a "download blueprints pdf" link in the article.   Since this would be a separate file that could easily spread fire and wide, you might want to include your credits and possibly some sort of additional Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography message that includes the "supermanica.info" link so that curious people could find their way back.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2005, 02:49:11 PM »

Like I said, I'm gonna do it as long as I'm able to. This project's da bomb! I'm gonna give the PDF option a try, and I can always include the Supermanica logo to identify where the document came from. I'm also gonna try a couple of tests for including a link.

Who goes there?!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2005, 09:07:19 PM »

Quote from: "Bill 9000"
I noticed you went back to your "red sun" look. Why the change?

I made a discovery which got me thinking that the look should be changed.  I didn't have a new avatar ready, so I used the old "red sun on Jor-El's chest" avatar.

But now I've got a new one.

And another question that I couldn't readily find an answer for: Does the Wikipedia format have the capability of handling PDF files?

I tried a test upload and the file was rejected.  So I think not.  I do not know whether or not the configuration can be modified to allow PDFs.  One possible solution would be if you just email me the file, I'll upload it manually to a directory on the server, then we link to it from the entry itself, maybe with a manually generated (and uploaded) thumb or something.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L