superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legalities & Copyrights  (Read 13152 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« on: February 24, 2005, 05:23:37 AM »

It's been brought to my attention by an associate of mine who's been involved in various comics/films legal disputes over the years that in putting Fleischer's book (even updated and annotated) online is, in a sense, "republishing it" without the author's permission and may leave the editors and contributors  (US) liable for copyright infringement issues with not only Michael Flesicher but  DC as well.

Even though this is NON-PROFT AND FAN BASED... Unless Fleischer is aware of this and approves, this project may be doomed in the format we are now pursuing.

I hate to make like "Jor-El' but I am more than a bit concerned...
unless one of us is really Michael Fleischer and/or has written permission from him to undertake this project.

A suggestion may be to use his book as a SOURCE MATERIAL ONLY (not just reuse it and then add to it)  in conjunction with the comics and other research materials and essentiatly WRITE OUR OWN ENTRIES (much like we've been doing in the OVERVIEWS section) and cite other source materials much like footnotes.  

In that way it's ORIGINAL MATERIAL and not infringing on Fleischer's copyright.  DC on the other hand is another issue and Id sure hate to lose STTA and the Fortress as well due to their litiginious nature.  On the other hand, there's a lot of fan based films and bootlegs circulating at comic book conventions and online that DC doesnt seem to bother with pursuing.  The key here is that we are NOT FOR PROFIT.

Thoughts, gentlemen?
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 05:32:13 AM »

I tend to agree. We should be using the Fleischer book only as source material, and then write original work to go into the various entries. Not only would it make Supermanica potentially lawsuit-proof, it'll probably make for better reading anyway since the material will consist of original writings (like when I wrote the entry on Wonder-Man, for example).

Who goes there?!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 05:37:05 AM »

As for art, we might have to keep Bill 9K up to his elbows in animation cells and paint but I think we're OK with the art (being I steal it from elsewhere anyway*cough*grandcomicbookdatabase*cough) Besides what's photshop for ?  Besides cropping? heh hehe

But let's see what Rao, Beppo and that guy from the bottle city have to offer before we get our typing/writing shoes out... :roll:

Maybe that Maggin character is around...lurking. :wink:
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 05:46:51 AM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
As for art, we might have to keep Bill 9K up to his elbows in animation cells and paint but I think we're OK with the art (being I steal it from elsewhere anyway*cough*grandcomicbookdatabase*cough) Besides what's photshop for ?  Besides cropping? heh hehe

But let's see what Rao, Beppo and that guy from the bottle city have to offer before we get our typing/writing shoes out... :roll:

Maybe that Maggin character is around...lurking. :wink:

Gee ... drawing stuff that concerns Superman, my favorite super-hero. Now there's a chore I'd absolutely hate! :wink: As for Maggin ... one can always hope!  Cheesy

Who goes there?!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 01:09:48 PM »

Well, Rao's the one with his neck out, so it's his opinion that matters.  I brought up some of the same concerns when the first few comics went online, but apparently DC is aware of this site and letting it go.

The Fleischer book may be a different story; I know it was a years-long project for the author and he may not appreciate having it reproduced.  On the other hand, since DC refuses to acknowledge any of this information as "history" any more, it's unlikely they'll ever want to reprint the book.

I'll wait for Rao's decree.  Until then, I'm confining myself to self-authored entries covering the post-64 years.  But because it's neat and tidy, I'm trying to follow Fleischer's format.

This looks like a job for...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 01:39:01 PM »

It's my understanding that there was an initial battle with DC over copyright in the early days of STTA and that Rao has posted on this in his notes on the anniversary.  Portions of the Fleisher book have been online in the old encyclopedia for awhile now.

Does anyone know what Fleisher's up to these days?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 02:04:56 PM »

I have been informed that Michael Fleischer sued The Comics Guild for an article in which Harlan Ellison slammed MF.  Actually went to trial and TCG won.  Imagine...

I think if MF's work is excerpted as a footnotes or referred to as a source material, should be OK but to reproduce whole entries??? Dunno.

I await the Glorious One's insight.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 08:40:43 PM »

The Great Superman Book is copyright Michael L. Fleisher, so it's really his opinion that matters.  This book came out approximately 30 years ago and I have no idea where Mr. Fleisher is hanging his hat these days.  I cannot even begin to speculate what his opinion on this project would be.

My experience with DC has been that if they don't contact us, then what we're doing is OK.  As soon as anyone does anything that they don't like, they will make their opinion known, and fast.  And it's not like they're going to sue anyone, their first step has always been to just ask us to stop.  Sort of a, "you don't know unless you try it" approach.  Not very formal, but it's gotten us this far.

I would say it's OK to put the articles up, and then if DC or Fleisher complains down the road, we re-write them or remove whatever the offending content is.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L