superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonTomorrow's Lesson!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:40:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Should DC Comics Presents be included in the canonical sources?  (Voting closed: February 26, 2005, 03:21:53 PM)
Yes, all the issues should be included - 5 (50%)
No, none of the issues should be included - 0 (0%)
Just some of them (explain) - 5 (50%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Comics Presents: Yay or Nay?  (Read 16314 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 24, 2005, 08:21:53 PM »

DC Comics Presents

Some reasons to include it:
Quote from: "Bill 9000"
great villains like Mongul, or Kristin Wells' run as Superwoman, the Earth-1 and Earth-2 Luthors meet face-to-face

Some reasons not to include it:
Quote from: "The Starchild"
some questionable material and might be far too wide-ranging in its scope. Superman and the Masters of the Universe? Santa Claus? The Vigilante? And the final issue with Steve Gerber's PZ criminals, which was in that post-Crisis pre-Reboot grey zone.

Please vote and add your comments!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 08:42:40 PM »

Some.

I really have NO knowledge firsthand of these issues...
BUT..

some of the characters and incidents were later to be seen as canoical. So I say...Some..but be selective.

As per what Bill9K said.

Kinda wishy washy on my part, eh? :wink:
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 09:03:00 PM »

I went with "some of them", which is the closest to my actual opinion about this subject. The entire run of DCCP should be included, but those issues that Starchild mentioned should be ignored.

Who goes there?!
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 09:52:19 PM »

Sorry Rao, I know you prefer an all-or-nothing approach, and I can see why.  But I also voted "some."  I'd stick with just the annuals.

I also wonder if we even want to get into the whole Earth-1 and Earth-2 thing.  As Nightwing pointed out, Fleisher approached the work as if it was all one Superman, one Luthor, etc. remaining ageless through the years.   Splitting characters into multiple versions would be a big mess.

Perhaps we could handle it the way Fleisher does, and just say something like, "...where Luthor encounters a version of himself from a parallel dimension" or "an alternate dimension" or something like that. I'm pretty sure I've already seen him do this somewhere.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 10:43:28 PM »

Quote from: "The Starchild"
Sorry Rao, I know you prefer an all-or-nothing approach, and I can see why.  But I also voted "some."  I'd stick with just the annuals.

I also wonder if we even want to get into the whole Earth-1 and Earth-2 thing.  As Nightwing pointed out, Fleisher approached the work as if it was all one Superman, one Luthor, etc. remaining ageless through the years.   Splitting characters into multiple versions would be a big mess.

Perhaps we could handle it the way Fleisher does, and just say something like, "...where Luthor encounters a version of himself from a parallel dimension" or "an alternate dimension" or something like that. I'm pretty sure I've already seen him do this somewhere.

Ditto what Starchild said.  I suggest we approach it like Fleisher approached his non-canonical sources (like the newspaper strip, Batman comics, etc).

Can anyone name 5 first appearances or major stories from DCCP?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 12:11:04 AM »

Mongul - DC Comics Presents #'s 27, 28, 36 and 43

The Atomic Skull - DC Comics Presents #'s 35 and 50

Superwoman - DC Comics Presents Annual #'s 1 and 4

Shazam - DC Comics Presents #'s 33, 34 and 49; DC Comics Presents Annual #4

The Adult Pete Ross - DC Comics Presents #'s 13 and 14

The Santa Claus one (because it's just wrong) and all issues after #85 (because that's when the series starts to cross over with Crisis) should be excluded. DC Comics Presents is most notable for giving the world Superwoman and Mongul.

Who goes there?!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 12:24:05 AM »

what no He-Man? Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 01:11:28 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
what no He-Man? Wink

Well ... maybe we can forget about that one, too. Can you imagine what kind of mayhem would be unleashed if Orko got together with Mxyzptlk?  :shock:  :lol:

Who goes there?!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L