superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Should DC Comics Presents be included in the canonical sources?  (Voting closed: February 26, 2005, 03:21:53 PM)
Yes, all the issues should be included - 5 (50%)
No, none of the issues should be included - 0 (0%)
Just some of them (explain) - 5 (50%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Comics Presents: Yay or Nay?  (Read 16316 times)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 11:14:58 PM »

I don't have it handy so I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that Fleisher included the imaginary stories.  I'll double check.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 11:28:01 PM »

No IMAGINARY STORIES?!!! (aren't they all?) :wink:

We should and we must IMHO.

Presented as "alternative/parallel world" chronicles from the 8th Dimension, perhaps ? S!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 12:39:56 AM »

Yes, they must be included! But they should be clearly stated as such of course.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 01:02:12 AM »

Yup - cause so many great Wesinger era tales were IMAGINARY in nature - "Death of Superman' "Red&Blue".

Unless, of course, Batman is feeding data into the Super-Univac to show what Kal's life on Krypton would've been if it hadnt exploded. :wink:
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2005, 04:24:10 AM »

"This is an imaginary story...
Aren't they all?"

Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

"All Stories are Imaginary.
But some Stories are more Imaginary than others..."

With apologies to George Orwell's "Animal Farm"   :wink:

Why not have a Supermanica entry (or perhaps an entire section) entitled "Imaginary Stories", with brief summaries of noteworthy Imaginary Stories?  This keeps the Imaginary Stories outside the "official" canon, yet included in the overall Supermanica.  These Imaginary Stories were an essential part of the Silver Age Superman "experience", including what might be the best and more famous of them all, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"  Certainly we HAVE to include it somewhere.

By the way, Klar Ken T5477, I actually have that comic where the Super-Univac shows Kal's possible future on Krypton.  I really wasn't that impressed, though it is a good example of an early Imaginary Story.  Do you think this should be scanned?

DTO
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2005, 05:38:24 AM »

The very 1st one was done in 1942 and here it is: http://superman.nu/tales3/cartoonhero/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2005, 06:25:22 AM »

DTO,
I have the Superman annual thatthat "Life on Krypton" tale appeared in as well.  The reproduction in the annuals a little muddy but if you have a favorite panel that illustrates the feeling of the story,  go for it. Mine is "I picked a name up out of thin air..." LOL

SM,
An Imaginary Stories category is a great idea.  Id have to include "The Three Wives of Superman" - a real tear jerker fropm the pages of LL. The Fleischer tie in was a real treat when I first saw that in an annual as well.  Imagine plunking down a mere quarter for all that super-goodness back in the day!

As fars as posting the Krypton-Univac story here at STTAS, that's the domain of the great and glorious RAO.   S!
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 12:11:00 AM »

I guess it's official. DC Comics Presents and its annuals are now part of Supermanica's canonical sources. Who-Hoo! I'll get started on Mongul's entry now. :wink:

Who goes there?!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L