superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:19:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: name order for people entries  (Read 2700 times)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« on: February 28, 2005, 03:23:52 AM »

I've noticed that when it comes to entries for people, some are entered in the form

firstname lastname

(like Jimmy Olsen and Lex Luthor)

but others are in the form

lastname, firstname

(like Taylor, George)

It seems to me we should just pick one format and stick to it in order to be consistent

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 07:13:13 PM »

I moved the Taylor, George article to George Taylor, but we should still make sure we have a standard.

There are two different things going on here - one is what should the actual name of the article be, and the other is what is the name that is used at the beginning of the first paragraph.

The "George Taylor" article still lists him as "Taylor, George" in the first line - and I just created a "Professor Pepperwinkle" article but used his full name, "Professor Jaspar J. Pepperwinke" as the first line in the entry.

I kind of like the traditional approach: "Pepperwinkle, Jaspar J., Professor" or somesuch, something that would be consistent with "Taylor, George," but that might be too much.  Maybe "Taylor, George" should be changed to "George Taylor" instead.

Anyone else here have any thoughts on this?

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Admiral Chew
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 08:35:04 PM »

It seems to me that for comic book characters the first name first, last name last is something of a standard even though the Great Superman Book does last name first.

For me a bigger question is what to do with "The" and the begining of a name.

Should it be "The Thing" or "Thing, The"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L