superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:12:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Pick All-Star!  (Read 16995 times)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« on: February 28, 2005, 04:39:01 AM »

Okay, everyone knows what the purpose of the All Star line is. Now if you were in charge of the whole sheebang, who would be *your* All Stars?

SUPERMAN: Paul Dini, Ed McGuiness. Paul is one of the few people I've seen who knows how to handle Superman just right.  I think perhaps even moreso than what he did with Batman, he nailed what is easily the most balanced version of the character ever presented. Even Pre and Post Crisis fanboys can agree on STAS not to mention that casual viewers often speak fondly of the show.  So I think combined with the energy of Eds art could bring that to the table only amplified because there would not be the limitations of animation to consider.  Perhaps for their stint they could use the last episode as a starting point.

BATMAN: Matt Wagner, Jim Lee. Basically think Batman the animated and TNBTA series in terms of tone, to some degree look and striking a much needed balance between the dark mood of Batman and the superhero action adventure.  Batman is haunted but not psychotic and is a true hero. I liked the way Wagner handled Batman in Trinity, and I think he would be right at home work within this kind of tone for Batman.

WONDER WOMAN: (I would like to see a female writer on this book but sadly I cannot think of a name), Terry Dodson.  First of all, if there is one thing I am so sick of seeing is Wonder Woman weilding axes and swords and all this other generic Xena type stuff.  Her name is Wonder Woman, not warrior woman. Stop writing her like a cross between Mother Teresa and a Klingon. What I would like to do is be able to strike a balance between The Wonder Woman tv show and Spirit of Truth. A sense of fun and stranger in a strange land while at the same time giving the character the stature that she needs. Her lasso is the only weapon she should ever need because combined with her other powers and the fact that it compels one not to lie, not even to themselves. She not only has all she needs to fight, but she can also cut through the crap and reach a dialog.  I picked Dodson because, of course I like the way he draws women but also I think he could handle what i'd be looking for out of this title.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: Jeph Loeb, Alan Davis. Jeph can do big budget event movie vibe and Alan Davis can deliver on breathtaking and beautiful renditons of a huge cast of superheroes.  In order to keep the line organized this would also be *the* book to go to in order to see the rest of the DC Universe icons.  This book needs to feel like Mount Olympus of the superhero world. Remember the old DC ad line? "Where Legends Live". That's this book.

TEEN TITANS: Todd Nauck. With animated series line up and ages but drawn in the artstyle he used for Young Justice. A real sense of fun to the book balanced with only a subtle and healthy dose of teen angst and the weight of knowing that one day, these young heroes will inherit the future. In their hearts they want to live up to the legacy but also want to forge a name for themselves out of the shadow of the Justice League. Are the ready? Are they worthy?

LEGION OF SUPERHEROES: Mark Farmer, Ed Benes.  Something along the lines of what he was doing in Superboys Legion only without the requsite gory character deaths that Elseworld futures tend to have.  Legion is one of the few places outside of Star Trek where the future was presented as something wonderful to look foward to.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 05:47:23 AM »

I think many of the recent Bizarro creators would be awesome as regular cartoonists on DC books, especially:

1.Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez (I'd love to see them on any of the big three or on the Legion --Jaime Hernandez can draw great girls and they also have a retro vibe that I think the Legion needs).

2.Kyle Baker --great on Plastic Man, maybe great on something else?

3.Trina Robbins learned everything she knows from Harry Peters and deserves more Wonder Woman work.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:09:57 AM »

First of all, I think the All-Star line should have continuity from one writer to the next, and I think all the characters should exist in the same universe. Basically, the future writers would follow what Morrison and Miller have already lain down. I would also release each of these titles sparingly, not at the same time.

SUPERMAN: Mark Waid, Barry Kitson. This writer-artist team is doing very nice work on the new Legion of Super-Heroes title. I think Waid and Kitson could create a Superman that would both be loved by fans and make money for DC. I believe a few of the reasons Birthright didn't sell as well as it should have was because of DC's lack of advertising and the fact that the artwork was very polarizing (you either loved or hated it--I loved it). Still, I want Waid to get a chance to shut his detractors up once and for all. I would give Waid six issues to tell his story.

After Waid and Kitson leave, I would bring in the team of Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch. Both of these guys are big pre-Crisis Superman fans who can draw fans to any title that they work on. I would give them twelve issues to do their thing.

BATMAN: Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams. This was a very easy choice for me. Bringing back the legendary team that brought Batman out of his campy rut and made him a dark avenger again would be good business and strike a chord with fans. I'm sure there are many ideas Denny O'Neil wishes he could do in current continuity, but can't because of certain factors, he could use those ideas in this title. And Neal Adams could use his plans to revamp Batman's costume to make it more believable. I would give them twelve issues to do this.

After their run I would have the team of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale take over. I've very much enjoyed their take on the Dark Knight in the past, and would love to see them on this title. This team would also get twelve issues.

One thing I WOULD change is Robin's costume, specifically the elf shoes and short-shorts. I would give him a costume similar to the one he wore in the animated series (Dick's costume, not Tim's).

WONDER WOMAN: Matt Wagner, Alan Davis. I LOVED the work Matt Wagner did with Wonder Woman in Trinity and I believe he can work his magic again. Alan Davis is an artist who I feel could best bring out Wagner’s vision for the character. These two would get six issues to tell their story.

After their run, I’d put Gail Simone and Ariel Olivetti on the title. Wonder Woman needs a woman’s touch and someone who understands the female psyche, which Gail Simone does. I’ve been fond of Olivetti’s art in the recent Space Ghost mini-series and would love to see him work on this title.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: Grant Morrison, Frank Quietly. After their run on the Superman title, I would move these two to JLA. Since I don’t want to take up too much of their time, they would only be signed on for six issues.

WORLD’S FINEST: Geoff Johns, Ethan Van Sciver. I’m a big fan of Green Lantern: Rebirth and this team in general. These two don’t focus on pointless angst and instead focus on making heroes heroic. I would give them twelve issues.

This title would focus on small team-ups between heroes from the All-Star DCU. The first issue would feature Superman, Batman, and Robin just to get the fans hooked. From then on out, the teams would be new and unconventional.

FOURTH WORLD: Paul Dini, George Perez. The work Dini did with Jack Kirby’s Fourth World characters in the animated DCU was phenominal. As for Perez, I think his work speaks for itself—the guy is a legend in the comic industry. This title would appeal to both adult and kids (but wouldn’t talk down to them or sanitize everything). I’m thinking of a Star Wars type of feel. The comic would focus on characters like the New Gods, the Forever People, Mr. Miracle, and even Jimmy Olsen! I would give this team twelve issues.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
SuperThinnker
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 01:16:15 PM »

Pardon me if I spell their writers names.

ALL-STAR SUPERGIRL:
       Writer: Peter A. David (To shut up the troll of a PAD fanl, KET)
       Artisit: Ed Benes (To join PAD)

Logging off,
Dr. Thinker
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 01:33:38 PM »

I agree that I'd like to see a firm and established "Classic" continuity from one set of creaters to the next, both within each title and possibly across the entire line.  In fact, my one concern with the whole All-Star concept is that the focus seems to be more on getting "the hottest, fan-friendliest writers and artists to do their interpretations of classic DC characters" and less on any editorial oversight.  This is the standard DC problem that has led to such messes as DK2.  I sometimes get the impression that DC is letting up on editorial restraints not out of any sense of respect for the writers, but because it's quicker, easier, and less expensive to not have to filter stuff through a knowledgable and skilled editor.

Quote from: "Kuuga"
WONDER WOMAN: (I would like to see a female writer on this book but sadly I cannot think of a name)

Trina Robbins.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 02:25:48 PM »

Louise "Wheezy" Simonson on WW?
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 03:36:49 PM »

For an All-Star Legion of Super-Heroes, I'd love to reunite the team of Paul Levitz and Steve Lightle. Just keep Keith Giffen away from the book!

Who goes there?!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 04:14:37 PM »

An All Star Legion?
Hmmm..Jim Shooter writing.

But who to draw?
Al Williamson.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: