superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Pick All-Star!  (Read 16986 times)
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 08:49:26 PM »

For All Star Superman, it'd be Mark Waid and Ivan Reis. Reis has done excellent work on Action; it's a shame that his art was married to Chuck Austen's putrid writing. Reis's Superman is easily the best one I've seen in a long time.

Btw, does anyone know if the All-Star titles are meant to be ongoing, or if they're just going to run for 12 issues and be relegated to the dustbin of history?
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 12:35:12 AM »

Basically instead of a shared continuity you have a shared philosphy behind the books with top creative teams doing series under that. What the average person on the street knows about these characters is all you need going into any of these stories. No fanboy scorecard required. There will be another All Star team for Superman once Morrison has finished his story.

My impression is that it's being used to captialize on the growing tpb market in bookstores which makes the idea of the heroes being easily accessible to the casual reader all the more important. It's all a very good idea.

In theory.

However, this is DC Comics...

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 01:13:53 AM »

Alan Moore on Superman for 12 issues and have Alex Ross paint the whole thing.

How's that?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 01:09:36 PM »

That'd be cool SM, but I think I'd go with Moore, Ross on painted covers, and Chris Sprouse on interior art. They did gangbuster work on Supreme, so why mess with a winning formula?  :wink:

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 01:32:05 PM »

I was going to stay out of this thread on the assumption that there's no creators working today I think are worthy of Superman, but darned if you haven't come up with a combo that would work!

Moore is a genius, which by this point goes without saying, and he's one of the few people who understand what Superman is all about.  Chris Sprouse is a wonderfully talented artist and along with Dave Gibbons and Brian Bolland one of the last examples of an illustrator in the classic sense, a worthy successor to Curt Swan.  Sprouse is great at drawing characters who are impossibly powerful-looking, as the medium demands, but at the same time his heroes are realistic and attractive, unlike the steroidal monstrosities or "Anime-on-Crack" scribbles most "artists" are giving us.  Plus he actually took the time to learn how to draw buildings, vehicles, furniture, clothing, etc.  He's not one of these dipstick kids who churn out pin-up figures gritting their teeth and flexing their muscles before "backgrounds" that usually amount to smoke and/or a pile of rubble.

Okay, sign me up for an All-Star project with Moore and Sprouse.  As long as we're dreaming...

This looks like a job for...
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 01:35:59 PM »

Heck, as long as we're dreaming give me Elliot S! Maggin as the writer with art by Alex Ross.
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 04:32:16 PM »

I don't post often, but I do read.

All Star Supergirl?   Hmmmm.

Trina Robbins and Anne Timmons(the creators of Go Girl! of Dark Horse Comics) working on Supergirl.     Sorry PAD.

The only ones who might be able to do a decent All Star Wonder Woman are the creators of Flare from Heroic Publishing.

However, I don't want to lose future stories of those characters.

Lesser names that are interested in telling stories, instead of bolstering their ego(Byrne and Liefield I'm looking at you)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 01:33:45 PM »

Heck, as long as we're dreaming give me Elliot S! Maggin as the writer with art by Alex Ross.

You know, even though I was excited as anyone when Alex Ross first showed up, I have to admit I'm pretty tired of his stuff, now.

When I was a kid, I thought being a great artist meant recreating reality as closely as possible.  Not just in the comics, but in paintings and sculpture as well.  Neal Adams was my hero in those days, and anyone who couldn't draw as "realistically" as he could was a hack.  Over time, though, I've developed a real appreciation for more abstract sculpture and impressionist paintings (though I've still no use for cubism or modern "shock art") and, at the same time, a great love for the more cartoony artists in comics history.  For my money, a Kirby, Eisner, Cole or Sprang is much more entertaining than an Adams because they create their own reality, they develop whole worlds that are often more interesting and fun than our own.

I think this is why Ross is losing his appeal to me.  His paintings look like real people dressed in superhero suits...because they're based on photos of real people dressed in superhero suits.  But guess what?  Real people dressed in superhero suits don't look cool, they look silly.  Much as I rail against Hollywood tinkering with superhero costumes, I have to admit that Alex Ross has proven a literal, spandex-only translation to real human figures would look goofy.  (His Flash, in particular, looks like the guy you'd avoid at a Halloween party).

Comics need a sense of unreality to work for me.  A sense of whimsy and imagination.  Curt Swan was as close to "real" as I'd ever want to go.

On the other hand, if Ross did the art, the book would sell like hotcakes.  And I have to admit, based on the pencil sketches I've seen him do, the prospect of a pen-and-ink Ross comic, as oppsed to a painted one, is very intriguing...

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L