superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Pick All-Star!  (Read 16999 times)
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 03:36:08 PM »

^You're right, the prospect of more conventionally colored Ross art does sound intriguing.

You know who else I wish we could see again? Steve Rude. I love the 1940s look he brings to Superman (although I'm not a big fan of the short cape).
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 01:23:22 AM »

For me the real "All-Star" Superman artist is one we can't see again... his initials are CS, of course.

But it would sure be nice if DC released some of the unpublished Swan stories in their files.

By the way, those of you voting for Alex Ross might not have seen this:

http://www.alexrossart.com/rossreport/jan2005/report.html

These are some of his character sketches for his upcoming miniseries JUSTICE. Ross is plotting and inking a 12-issue bi-monthly Justice League maxi-series to start this summer.

Just my opinion: Some of those designs look really amazing (Green Lantern, Captain Marvel, Joker, Scarecrow) and others have me wondering "Why, Alex, WHY?" (such as Batman with knee-high boots, Grodd looking like Chewbacca).

Superman's "S" shield looks to take up more than half his chest! Not sure about that.

Luthor and Toyman are the mid-1970s versions that are dear to Alex's heart from the old SUPER FRIENDS show that instilled his love of super-heroes. So Lex is back to the green and purple look. I wonder what he will do with Brainiac?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 02:06:52 AM »

well, I am not a  huge fan of Alex Ross, but he is the biggest name artist in Comics, so I figure he could sell the most comics and bring back the real Superman as the one true Superman.

To be 100% honest, as long as Alan Moore is writing it, it could be drawn by anyone Wink

How about Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez? Nightwing loves him and he isn't dead yet Wink

or Walt Simonson?

or Art Adams?

or Rick Veitch! Since he could ape any style, it could do it in the style of Curt Swan, his own style is pretty neat too but maybe too dark for Supes.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 05:00:53 AM »

I'd be all about some Garcia Lopez or Art Adams. Simonson and Veitch not so much..

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 01:43:23 PM »

Simonson's art is an acquired taste, certainly.  In the right mood, I like it a lot, but on Superman?  I don't know.  On the other hand, if they had to hand the keys to the kingdom to an artist/writer in 1986, I wish it had been Walt instead of Byrne.  What Walt did on "Thor" a couple years before was nothing short of miraculous...to wit: he made me like the character!

Can't believe I forgot Steve Rude and Garcia-Lopez, especially after I went to all the trouble of building tributes to them on my site (and picked a Rude image for my avatar)!  Yes, either one would be better than terrific.  In the case of JLGL, it would even have the air of a long-denied birthright at last fulfilled...he was destined to take over the Super-books, in my opinion, and might well have if the rules hadn't suddenly changed after Crisis.

I might be talked into a Darwyn Cooke version, as well.  Writing and art.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 02:32:00 PM »

Nightwing, the DUDE would be awesome. Loved his take on Worl'd Finest - th Dude is one of the few artists out there today who really, really knows how to draw well and his Supes was iconic.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 03:00:58 PM »

Rude would also be a good choice. btw Nightwing I really love your site even though I take some small issue with the manga influence comment.  I was struck by your editorial on Jor-El and Lara. Even though I'm not a parent myself, the act of Jor-El and Lara is always an emotional experience for me. I totally agree with that article. Nicely done, sir.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 08:10:17 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.

Not sure what I said about manga, but it's no secret I don't like it.  Or rather, I don't like the big-footed, big-eyed, goofball American comics art that claims to be inspired by it.  I should say right up front I know very little about true Manga...it just seems to me a lot of artists here in the States use the "Manga" label as a shield for their lack of skill.  Possibly the real thing has some nuances the rip-offs don't.  Just as a Japanese animated feature film like Akira has qualities that bargain basement, made for TV dreck like "Pokemon" doesn't.

Who was that guy who drew "Impulse"? That's the kind of junk I hate.  And all the hacks who've drawn...and continue to draw...Superman as a freakish caricature who's not only ugly but changes his facial features from one panel to the next.  That to me is a sign of incompetence.  And for that we need "archival quality" paper and a $2.99 price tag, while masters like Swan and Sprang were printed on pulp paper for a dime?  (Again, sorry I don't know the name...if it helps, it was a comic where Superman was fighting Ultra-Man and the evil Superwoman...with a superbaby thrown in too, I think. Yecch)

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L