superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:24:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael L. Fleischer TGSB author and more  (Read 3697 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« on: February 28, 2005, 03:44:42 PM »

Evidently Mr Felsicher was active wrting comics during the mid 1970s as well as writing his voluminious encyclopedia .  

Several of the first issues produced by then fledgling Seaboard/Atlas Comics upstarts in 1975 (including The Phoenix, Morlock 2001 and The Grim Ghost) were written by a "Mike" and/or "Michael Fleischer".

He and and the Michael J. Flesicher of theTGSB fame are one and the same.
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 06:02:14 PM »

Just to clarify, Michael L. Fleisher and Michael Fleischer are probably two different people.  The former is the author of TGSB.  Which one is the writer of the comic?

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 08:10:06 PM »

Quote from: "The Starchild"
Just to clarify, Michael L. Fleisher and Michael Fleischer are probably two different people.  The former is the author of TGSB.  Which one is the writer of the comic?

Fleisher

Also: The Spectre in Weird Adventure.
I type bad. :cry:
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:33:36 PM »

They are definitely one and the same.  I suspect Fleisher's initial work on the 3-volume Encyclopedia project seved as a sort of foot in the door for scripting work at DC.

I would be interested in hearing of any Superman stories actually written by Fleisher.

In my opinion, and regardless of his artisitic contributions to comics, Fleisher has contributed some of the most historically important critical and scholarly writing to the subject of superhero comics.  I think that he deserves at least equal consideration along with Elliot Maggin in terms of importance in the post-Weisinger era.

Beyond the general importance of his encyclopedias, his actual articles/entries on Superman and Clark Kent are among some of the best and most insightful on those subjects.  I would direct readers to section H of Fleisher's Superman article (TGSB pg 381) for an excellent essay on "The Man Himself (as Clark Kent)".

I would love to know what Fleisher is doing now.  Google turns up nothing since the early 90s.  As mentioned on another thread, in the 1980s he was involved in a libel suit with Harlan Ellison and The Comics Journal over Ellison's comments about his comics work:

"I did an interview with Groth in the The Comics Journal," Ellison said. "I was asked what writers I like, and I said [Michael Fleisher]. I said he was bug[****], he's certifiable, like [H.P.] Lovecraft... but what I didn't know was that Michael Fleisher had been going to a psychiatrist three times a week for 11 years and he really was crazy." He explained how Fleisher filed a libel suit against Groth and Ellison soon after the interview was published, leading to a tenuous partnership between the two.

(stars mine)
--quoted from 1993 Ellison speech here:
http://www.talkaboutpeople.com/group/alt.fan.harlan-ellison/messages/15966.html

There is another controversial article about the case (written by Charles Pratt) here:
http://www.ansible.co.uk/Ansible/c_platt.html

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 03:11:44 AM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Also: The Spectre in Weird Adventure.

Whoo-boy! Now those were some great stories! So good that I bought the Wrath of the Spectre! miniseries just a few months ago. I used to have a few of the originals, but I read and re-read them so much they finally gave up the ghost!  :lol:

Seriously, Fleisher's Spectre stories were really edgy for 1974. And after reading them again, I'm surprised my folks let me read them at the tender age of ten. I mean, giant scissors chopping a guy in half, another guy turning to glass and shattering into a billion pieces. Whew!

The "liner notes" in Wrath of the Spectre! confirm (as did TELLE) that the author of these stories and TGSB were the same Michael Fleisher. I don't think I ever read any of his other comic stories, however.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L