superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:05:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: What is your favorite Superman movie?  (Voting closed: March 15, 2003, 12:56:37 AM)
Superman: The Movie - 13 (61.9%)
Superman II - 6 (28.6%)
Superman III - 0 (0%)
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - 2 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite Superman movie - and why?  (Read 8019 times)
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« on: March 15, 2003, 05:56:37 AM »

So which of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies is your favorite?

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 01:50:08 PM »

My favorite is Donner's original version of Superman II.  Or at least the slightly less-rare extended version.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 03:39:20 PM »

Superman The Movie was and always will be one of my three favorite movies (Ben-Hur and The Longest Day being the others).  I truly did believe a man could fly.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 12:33:00 PM »

Superman the Movie is my favorite because it's a big epic story.  It's got action, fantasy, drama, romance and humor.  Richard Donner couldn't have directed it any better.  Chris Reeve nailed the part.  He's my favorite Superman.   Cheesy  S!

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2003, 08:58:55 PM »

Well, your subject line was a bit misleading.  I prefer the first Kirk Alyn serial!

But as for the Chris Reeve films, it's gotta be "Superman" The Movie."  

Although I loved it as a teen in 1981, Superman II had lots of effects that simply have not held up over time, plus the unbelievable sub-plot where Superman gives up his powers and the even more unbelievable retrieval of those powers, and finally an apparent lack of understanding even of what Superman's powers are (super-statue-making power?  Super-cellophane tossing power?).  Otherwise, the film is pretty strong, but those are enough things to torpedo it for me.  Oh, and there's also the lackluster retooling of John William's score from the first film, and the low-budget feel of just about everything (We got 3 supervillains with the power to take over the world!  Let's have them attack the town of Mayberry!).

The other films aren't even in the running.  The effects just got worse and worse as time went on, the music was pathetic and Reeve started letting his physique go to pot (although in fairness, 40-something is pushing it for any man in this role).  In fact, the sequels were so bad they made the first one look weaker just by association.  I had to take a break of several years and come back to S:TM on DVD before it seemed fresh and beautiful again.  If anything, I like it better now than I did in '78.  When I first saw it I kept thinking things like, "That's not Krypton!" and "What happened to Superboy?"

It wasn't the last time I'd think those things, either. :-)

This looks like a job for...
Shannon
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 02:45:00 AM »

I love Superman: the movie. I loved Christopher Reeve and his great Clark/Superman contrast. His Clark was so awkward, and his Superman was so... super, so smooth and confident and supermanish. and I love the scene flying with lois. the whole "can you read my thoughts?" bit.

although I do enjoy Superman II. I think this is mostly because I like general zod and the other kryptonian supervillians being there. I was watching it recently, and what really struck me as strange is that the krypton woman's shirt was like something that is "in" now. isn't that weird?

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 01:06:54 AM »

Superman: the movie, natch.  It was the closets adaptation to the silver age Superman that I had grown up with.

But no head band for Jor-el?!

The horror, the horror! LOL :wink:
Xan-El
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 04:33:27 PM »

Superman II has always been my favorite.........You got General Zod you got Superman giving up his powers for Lois, its a good movie i think better then the First.....

Xan-El

"Superman is what i can do.....Clark Kent is who i am."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L