superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:34:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone starting to hate Tom Welling? Well...I do.  (Read 7933 times)
jbsmallville
Superman Fan

« on: March 15, 2003, 07:04:36 AM »

This is for his realization.....

IS HE CHICKEN? HE SHOULDN'T HAVE ACCEPTED THE ROLE OF CLARK KENT IN SMALLVILLE IN THE FIRST PLACE IF HE WASN'T HAVING THE SLIGHTEST INTENT TO PLAY SUPERMAN IN THE MOVIES.

I MEAN, HE HAS ALREADY HOARDED A BIG FOLLOWING AND NOT PLAYING THE ROLE WOULD SURELY DISSAPPOINT THESE FANS. HOW CAN HE EXPECT THEN TO MAKE IT BIG IN OTHER FILM PROJECTS.

I HOPE HE REALIZES THAT IT IS THE VOICE OF MAJORITY THAT WANTS HIM IN. AND HE'S GIVING WARNER BROTHERS A REALLY HARD TIME CHOOSING A REPLACEMENT FOR HIM.

I HOPE HE'S READING THIS, OTHERWISE, I WILL START A PETITION FROM NOW ON TO BOYCOTT SMALLVILLE (WHICH I HOPE WON'T EVER HAPPEN) Smiley

ON A LIGHTER NOTE, IF HE HAD THE CHANCE TO WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY INCLUDED IN DVD SUPERMAN THE MOVIE, IT'S SUGGESTING THAT ONE CANNOT FULLY TRUST WARNER BROTHERS' DECISION IN IMPLEMENTING THE FILM BECAUSE ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS THE RETURN OF INVESTMENT. THEY EVEN REMOVED THE ORIGINAL DIRECTOR OF SUPERMAN THE MOVIE ONCE THEY LEARNED THAT THAT MOVIE WAS A BOX OFFICE HIT. ERGO, THE MOVIES FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL(PART 3 & 4) WASN'T THAT IMPRESSIVE ANYMORE.
(PART 1 & 2 WAS DIRECTED SIMULTANEOUSLY)

I KNOW THAT MANY PEOPLE ARE AWARE THAT SUPERMAN IS A "PROPERTY" OF WB. BUT IN ALL THOSE YEARS, WHY DIDN'T WB MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT SUPERMAN RIGHT AWAY, UNTIL ONLY  OUTSIDE PRODUCERS (ILYA SALKIND WAS ONE OF THEM) STARTED PLACING INTEREST ON FILMING THE MOVIE.

THAT ONLY GOES TO PROVE THAT QUALITY OF THE FILM DOES NOT DEPEND ON THE WARNER BROS. BUT ON THE PASSION AND WISDOM OF THE DIRECTOR AS WELL AS ON THE CASTING OF THE MOVIE.

ANYWAY, TOM BULK UP NOW AND PREPARE FOR THE SUPERMAN ROLE....
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 07:21:49 AM »

please stop screaming

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 12:25:53 PM »

IS HE CHICKEN? HE SHOULDN'T HAVE ACCEPTED THE ROLE OF CLARK KENT IN SMALLVILLE IN THE FIRST PLACE IF HE WASN'T HAVING THE SLIGHTEST INTENT TO PLAY SUPERMAN IN THE MOVIES.

This is news to me.  As far as I know, it is completely up to Warner Brothers, not up to Tom Welling, to decide who is going to play Clark/Superman in a possible new movie.  I have heard that WB has made offers to some actors, who have turned the role down.  But I haven't heard that Tom Welling was one of those actors.

THAT ONLY GOES TO PROVE THAT QUALITY OF THE FILM DOES NOT DEPEND ON THE WARNER BROS. BUT ON THE PASSION AND WISDOM OF THE DIRECTOR AS WELL AS ON THE CASTING OF THE MOVIE.

Very true, but unfortunately now that WB realizes that Superman is high profile, they are interested in him.  Everyone at WB wants their fingers in the pie.  And since they're all interested in the movie, they won't let a director do what s/he would want to do.  Instead they all try to micro-manage the project in different directions.

This may not be a bad thing.  I'm actually hoping that the movie continues to be delayed until Jon Peters is finally off it.

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 12:30:27 PM »

The Salkinds fired Donner, not Warner Bros.  As for Warner Bros. making a Superman movie right away nobody had ever done a big buget movie based on a superhero before that time.  Back then it was unheard of.  
Finally, I don't like Tom Welling as Clark Kent so why would I want him for Superman?

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 01:21:33 PM »

Quote from: "shazamtd"
As for Warner Bros. making a Superman movie right away nobody had ever done a big buget movie based on a superhero before that time.  Back then it was unheard of.

So are you saying that WB can't even jump on their own bandwagon? Cool

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2003, 02:02:53 PM »

Quote from: "shazamtd"
Finally, I don't like Tom Welling as Clark Kent so why would I want him for Superman?

Here's a thought.  We all know that Clark Kent is supposed to look like an average Joe, while Superman is supposed to be inspirational and look godly.  What about actually making them look different?  I see two possibilities:

They could use one actor for both roles, made up differently as Clark.  Not just hair and glasses, but actually make him pudgier or skinnier or something.  And give him a glow when he's Superman.

Or they could  use two different (but similar looking) actors for the two roles.  This has never been done before, but it could work.  I like Tom Welling and think he might make a good Superman.  But maybe someone else as Clark?

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Conorooney
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 02:53:14 PM »

Hey jbsmallville. The Salkind leased the licence from WB. WB invested money in2 Superman: The Movie and SII when the Salkinds realised they were running out of money which is why they stopped filming SII with Dick Donner. He was to resume filming when STM made money from it's X-Mas release. With the success of the film the Salkinds replaced Dick Donner with Richard Lester who previously worked with the Salkinds on The Musketeer films. They owed him money and promised him the rest of it if he re-filmed SII. Go to www.supermancinema.net to find out the whole story behind it. Anyway they sent a letter to Donner saying "Your services are no longer needed". That was it. Lester had to re-film over nearly everything Donner shot. A director has to have 70% of a film shot by himself to gain full credit. Donner shot the diner scene and lester tried to take credit for it even though Donner is it that scene himself. Once Donner left Gene Hackman left followed by John Williams.  The release for SII was held back for a year. The knew they had the success so they cut Brando from SII even though the footage was shot of him (never seen to this day) and refused to pay him because they knew he had to get 11.3% of the profits and bcause Warners had invested in it they had to get a share also. Brando sued for millions and won the case recently. Hackmans new scenes were done by a double in long shots and a voice over. If you look closer Kidders face changes from camera angel to camera angle because there is a difference of nearly 2 years gap. Jor-El (Brando), really give his spirit up to give Superman his powers back but they is no longer seen. Donner shot between 70-85 or 90% of SII and what you see on the theatricial is only 30%. Think of what is missing. 50% of his work was aired in Europe and there are copied floating around (I have one myself). It shows Superman blowing up the fortress at the end and a longer break up scene. It makes the film much more intense and since seeing it I haven't watched the theatrical since. Welling won't take the role because he probably knows h'ed be typecast for the rest of his life like Reeve.
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2003, 07:31:49 PM »

Quote from: "valdemar"

So are you saying that WB can't even jump on their own bandwagon? Cool

What I'm saying is back then they didn't think a movie about Superman would make any money.  Some people even thought Star Wars wouldn't make any money.  Who knew?

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L