superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:21:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: What is your favorite period of Superman comics?  (Voting closed: March 04, 2005, 03:56:50 PM)
Siegel & Shuster Era 1938-1948 - 3 (9.1%)
Atomic Age 1948-1958 - 1 (3%)
Weisinger Era 1958-1970 - 13 (39.4%)
Schwartz Era 1970-1986 - 11 (33.3%)
Byrne's Run 1986-1988 - 3 (9.1%)
Jurgens/Ordway Era 1989-1998 - 2 (6.1%)
Current 1998-2005 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite period of Superman comics?  (Read 20311 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 03:07:30 PM »

Dan Jurgens isn't the best writer in the world. He's good at gimmicks that sell comics...in fact, all he really did was turn the old imaginary stories into "real" stories- the death and wedding. And Zero Hour was just plain awful...it was like "Look at me! I can do Crisis on Infinite Earths too! I'm cleaning house!"

There have been a lot of good Superman writers over the years, too many to name. I like Siegel, Maggin, Waid, Loeb...

My favorite Superman artists would definitely be Curt Swan, Tom Grummet, and Jim Lee, even though they haven't always worked with the best writers. I grew up with the Byrne Superman, but the more backstories I read I wish they would change the name of the Man of Steel miniseries to "Just Imagine John Byrne's Superman."

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 08:00:56 PM »

I don't think Jurgens is the world's best writer either. Sometimes I like what he comes up with, other times not. I did enjoy the death storyline, but not particularly for Jurgens' contributions -- the Cyborg Superman had a contrived origin and his defeat was a pretty horrible deus ex machina. I would rate him above Byrne (or at least above Byrne's work on Superman), but that isn't saying a lot. My favorite writer on the "new" Superman was Karl Kesel.

As for "Just Imagine John Byrne's Superman"... heh heh heh.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 01:27:28 AM »

"Just Imagine John Byrne's Superman"

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 03:01:06 PM »

The point of "Just Imagine John Byrne's Superman," I think, is that it would've been like Stan Lee's version, i.e. a one-shot mini-series after which the regular continuity would have resumed.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2005, 03:28:21 PM »

Quote from: "Gary"
The point of "Just Imagine John Byrne's Superman," I think, is that it would've been like Stan Lee's version, i.e. a one-shot mini-series after which the regular continuity would have resumed.

Plus they both have the same thing in common.... they were awful  :l:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »

Hmmm ... now that I think about it, though, there were a lot of great Superman stories from Julius' era that are near and dear to my heart, too.

Who goes there?!
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »

Although a lot of the coolest facets of Superman's universe were invented during the Weisinger era, I'm going to go with the Schwartz era. Nothing compares with Maggin's stories, IMO.

The Byrne/Jurgens stuff just doesn't hold up over time. When I was in my early-to-mid teens I was in love with the whole Death-and-Return arc. And then I revisited it a few years later, and I couldn't believe I had ever enjoyed it.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 03:23:50 AM »

Quote from: "GeorgeKirk"
The Byrne/Jurgens stuff just doesn't hold up over time. When I was in my early-to-mid teens I was in love with the whole Death-and-Return arc. And then I revisited it a few years later, and I couldn't believe I had ever enjoyed it.

I felt the same way when I was younger. Looking back now, I can clearly see the flaws.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L