superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:11:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: What is your favorite period of Superman comics?  (Voting closed: March 04, 2005, 03:56:50 PM)
Siegel & Shuster Era 1938-1948 - 3 (9.1%)
Atomic Age 1948-1958 - 1 (3%)
Weisinger Era 1958-1970 - 13 (39.4%)
Schwartz Era 1970-1986 - 11 (33.3%)
Byrne's Run 1986-1988 - 3 (9.1%)
Jurgens/Ordway Era 1989-1998 - 2 (6.1%)
Current 1998-2005 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite period of Superman comics?  (Read 20233 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 01:51:47 AM »

Quote from: "The Starchild"
Quote from: "NotSuper"
The Bronze Age.

"An age where men and women wore their greatness as easily as they wore their clothing or their names..."

Indeed. Elliot S! Maggin was a big reason that I enjoyed the Bronze Age so much. And it wasn't just Superman who was written well in the Bronze Age, there were many other great stories and writers (from both DC and Marvel).

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 11:47:30 AM »

I think Weisinger era was actually more nuanced and inventive, as well as more consistent artisitically/continuity-wise.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 08:22:27 PM »

Weisinger by a mile, followed by Golden Age, when super heroes were new, love the original idea of the Batman, Spectre etc...

The Bronze Age actually left me cold, its mixture of past continuity and watered down social relevence didn't meet either objective...
kryptosmaster
Superman Fan

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 08:39:58 PM »

I almost picked the Bronze Age but I really enjoy those stories from the previous era more(58-70). Besides the Bronze Age is really just an extension of the Silver Age with more "relevant" storytelling (Marvelization). I grew up reading the B.A. books but when I started to seriously collect I found I enjoyed the 12 centers a lot more and those stories, for the most part, really stick in your head for all time.

KM

Kara Zor-El is the one true Supergirl.
Accept no substitutes!
Pre-Crisis continuity is THE BEST!!!!!
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 01:03:15 AM »

The continuity and seriousness of Superman was better in the Bronze Age.

Also, Julie Schwartz made it a point to establish where exactly Superman fit in a cohesive DCU.  Superman clearly wasn't just another super-hero but the super-hero and of truly legendary, mythological importance to the DCU.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 01:12:46 PM »

Much as I love the work of Maggin and Bates, there's just no comparison to the explosion of ideas and myth-building in the Weisinger years: Kara, Krypto, Kandor, the Phantom Zone, the Legion, Bizarro, Brainiac, the Fortress, Lori Lemaris, the list goes on and on.  The incomparable art team of Swan and Klein, the wonderful scripts of Seigel, Schwartz, Coleman, Binder and Hamilton.  This was Superman's true Golden Age.

Much of what modern fans love about comics, whether they know it or not, started here.  The tragic, emotional Superman of Seigel's "Return to Krypton" and later tales laid the groundwork for the conflicted psyches of the Marvel line-up (especially Spider-Man).  The intricate, nuanced Superverse introduced the kind of dense, cross-title continuity that so delights mutant fans today, and so on.

Mort himself may have been a prize jerk, but the stuff his team put out was pure gold.  Everything since has simply been a reaction to it, whether streamlining it (the Bronze Age), deconstructing it (Byrne) or ripping it off (the modern era's given us new versions of Supergirl, Kandor, Nightwing, Brainiac, Terra-Man, Toyman, you name it. None of them an improvement).

This looks like a job for...
Admiral Chew
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 01:31:23 PM »

I was going to post why I voted for the Weisinger Era, but Nightwing had already said everything I intended to.

I love the Julie Schwartz edited titles and almost voted for that era, but the Weisinger Era stands above it in my mind fir the reasons Nightwing stated.
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 03:08:59 PM »

Mort's the man. This is the period in Superman's history that I grew up with and I have the fondest memories of.

Who goes there?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L