superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:39:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Superman's DAY OF DOOM!"  (Read 6382 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: March 05, 2005, 03:54:14 PM »

Thanks to Karl Ken T5477 for sending in this one:

"Superman's DAY OF DOOM!"

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 03:58:06 PM »

I think Superman was really streaching with this machine being predictive especially with second prediction. If it has really been predicitive it should have coughed up something like LV and LA.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 04:12:27 PM »

Blame it on those kooky mathematical genius aliens...nad maybe just maybe it WAS broken. :wink:
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 06:50:46 AM »

Thanks for sending that one in, Klar. And thanks, Rao, for presenting it. Must be the most blatant exploitation of the LL contrivance I've seen...  Cheesy

How did Clark ever allow himself to be known as the only person who can contact Superman?  :roll:  

Maybe you missed the most shocking revelation in the story: that the Man of Steel considers Supergirl a possible future wife! (Yes -- read the two panels on page 3 again!) I don't have a problem with this, although I once read in a Superman comic that it was illegal for cousins on Krypton to marry. Mind you, I'm sure Kal-El and Kara could find a state in the U.S. where their nuptials could be legally performed. They are no longer residents of Krypton, after all, but citizens of the U.S.A., Planet Earth.

Quote from: "Maximara"
I think Superman was really streaching with this machine being predictive especially with second prediction. If it has really been predicitive it should have coughed up something like LV and LA.

Not necessarily. I would say the machine had probably been damaged in transit, and was "broken" as Superman thought -- only, the damage restricted the machine to two characters per prediction. This being the case, mention of the two cities would definitely come out as "...L...L..."

I wonder if Superman would really approve of a living creature being kept prisoner in a zoo, and if he would make a close-fitting cage to ensure it remained captive. (Hmmm?) It's no wonder these poor elephants go "on a rampage" from time to time. Their frustration and misery must be indescribable.

The main fault with our hero in this story is his incredibly dull wit. He knows full well who (and, more importantly what) Bizarro is, and yet he allows Bizarro to fly down to meet him carrying a lead box!  :shock:

Could Lori not have attended the parade in her wheelchair??

Why are the citizens of Metropolis allowed to have specific knowledge of the future, ie. the Legion of Super-Heroes?

But weren't they just the good ol' days, though? You could guarantee that any member of the public who happened by would take immediate action to save Superman! It's not hard to figure out why, in some ways. Can you imagine a parade supporting Superman? How many lives would Superman have touched? How many thousands of families would he have saved by dealing with natural disasters? How many people would've been on their knees in gratitude at being saved from criminals? Is there anyone on the planet, with the possible exception of Lex, who wouldn't breathe easier because the Man of Steel was on the job? That celebration would encompass untold millions...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 01:36:43 PM »

Aldous old chap, Me thinks you're reading too much into those Linda Lee- LL panels.

Im sure Master Mort was just having Supes run down a bunch of the LLs in his life for the benefit of the readers, then a couple of pages later - we get the same list with pix and some additions.

Ahhh...Luma Lynai. Cheesy
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 04:44:11 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Aldous old chap, Me thinks you're reading too much into those Linda Lee- LL panels.

Im sure Master Mort was just having Supes run down a bunch of the LLs in his life for the benefit of the readers, then a couple of pages later - we get the same list with pix and some additions.

Ahhh...Luma Lynai. Cheesy

Certainly it was unintentional, Klar, but it's there.

And don't take me too seriously.  :wink:
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 02:54:22 AM »

Quote from: "Aldous"
The main fault with our hero in this story is his incredibly dull wit. He knows full well who (and, more importantly what) Bizarro is, and yet he allows Bizarro to fly down to meet him carrying a lead box!  :shock:

Well Superman during much of the Silver and a good part Bronze age seemed to have the wisdom of a turnip as he was forever bumbling into situations like this. In fact if Superman had had the  brains he was supposed to the first thing he would ave done once he found out that no superpower make him immune to Green K was make sure he has a mini red sum lamp with him. Without his Superpowers Green K would have not effect allowing Superman to get way and then turn off the red mini sun lamp. He got a little brighter in the Bronze age but he still at times did really dumb things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L