superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:56:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Which of Superman's "sweethearts" is your favorite?  (Voting closed: March 05, 2005, 10:49:52 PM)
Lois Lane - 4 (22.2%)
Lana Lang - 10 (55.6%)
Lyla Lerrol - 0 (0%)
Lori Lemaris - 2 (11.1%)
Sally Selwyn - 1 (5.6%)
Luma Lynai - 1 (5.6%)
Lyrica Lloyd - 0 (0%)
write in (post vote) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which of Superman's "sweethearts" is your favorite  (Read 13972 times)
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »

Looks like I'm the only Luma Lynai fan here. Tsk tsk.  :cry:  She's just sooooo adorable in that costume....
Admiral Chew
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 04:34:17 PM »

Wow. It looks like most of the votes are in and Lana won rather convincingly.

I was thinking about having a run-off poll, but at this point Lana has over half the votes in a field of 7 so I don't think there's much doubt who the favorite is around here!

Lois got a lousy three votes, but I don't supposes that's surprising considering the way she's been portrayed in the Golden, Silver, and Modern ages.

I actually like Lois a lot and I still voted for Lana (with Lori and Sally my second and third choices.)

I'm a little surprised no one voted for Lyla Lerrol. She didn't appear much, but I thought "Krypton Lives Again" with the Lyla android was one of the best Superman stories ever and a lot of people love Moore's "For the Man who Has Everything." Her original appearance is of course a bona fide classic.

I suspect she would have done better if there were more that 15 participants.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 09:27:57 PM »

It was kind of hard to get to read Lyla Lerrol, she seemed a little aloof, and her android double was positively cold...so, I'll let Kal's keep his feelings for her to himself...
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »

I've always been partial to Lana myself, though I admit I'm surprised to see her finish so well here.

More precisely, I loved Lana in the Superboy stories.  Despite her constant efforts to prove Clark was Superboy, somehow she never came off as annoying as Lois.  Or maybe it was just that it was more tolerable coming from a teenager than a grown woman.  I think Lana was much kinder to Clark, too.  There was a sort of unspoken understanding that they were, sort of, boyfriend and girlfriend, albeit in a very platonic way.  Just the kind of innocent, slightly flirtatious friendship we remember from our own childhoods if we're lucky.  I'd say she was a "Betty" to Lois' "Veronica."

I guess today's kids are more "sophisticated" than I was, because they read comics with women spilling out of their bustiers and thongs, but in the comics of my youth, women weren't so much the simple sex objects. They were mysterious creatures to be feared as much as worshipped.  If Lois was the archetypal "female on the prowl," forever trying to trap Superman in marriage and commitment, Lana was the ideal "girl next door," there when you needed her, fun and cute and undemanding.  Just a kiss from Superboy could keep her on Cloud 9 for weeks; no need to put a ring on his finger.  Thus, I think Lana appeals to that part of the male psyche that adores and dotes on females without stirring our fears of commitment and domesticated doldroms.

Or maybe it was just those tight sweaters.  :lol:

This looks like a job for...
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2005, 04:51:13 PM »

Lana never went to the extremes that Lois did.  Thanks to her bio-ring, she never needed to.  Yes, Lana tried to prove Clark and Superboy were one and the same.  But, Clark was really not that careful about it in front of her.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 09:01:38 PM »

I have to tell you, even though the outlook appears grim for a Superboy archive, I'm still hoping, and for one reason...Lana.

I did hesitate to participate in the poll, though, because the question was about Superman.  As an adult, Lana was relegated to a foil for Lois and little more.  Just competition for the big prize.  She still managed not to be as annoying as Lois, but her real charm was in Smallville days.

This looks like a job for...
Osgood Peabody
Superman Family

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 09:14:14 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
I have to tell you, even though the outlook appears grim for a Superboy archive, I'm still hoping, and for one reason...Lana.

Believe it or not, Lana would not show up until volume 5!!

She was introduced in Superboy 10's "The Girl in Superboy's Life" (Sep/Oct 1950), but there are reams of stories before they'd get that far, assuming they begin with More Fun 101 in 1945.  Here's the full mapping, courtesy of Steve Roger's fine website:

http://members.fortunecity.com/dccomicsarchives/Superboy.html
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 10:38:04 PM »

DC is so slow with archives. :evil:

I am still amazed we actually got 12 Legion ones. Cool

The Odds of seeing more Supergirl, or Superboy or even Lois or Jummy archives are somewhat grim Sad

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L