superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:08:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey, I just got the Great Superman Book!  (Read 8158 times)
Beyonder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 01:39:39 PM »

Nonetheless Supes, Kara and Mon-El (all more or less important characters from Weisinger Superman's core mythos made more or less regular (or, in Kara's case, infrequent) appearences in the fast majority of all books depicting the Legion. The series, at least, should be also considered canonical.
Beyonder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 01:49:33 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Legion_of_Super-Heroes  :roll:

We can't add that comic itself since it would be too overwhelming with the millions of characters that appear that book, same reason why the other team books are not included.

Yeah, but we don't need to include all characters from it. (Tellus or that crazed Daxamite child... I forgot his name, have absolutely nothing to do with either Superman or Superboy.)

But there are still many elements of the Legion, wich helped shape Supes as he grew to adulthood. They are far more important to Superboy's tale then the JLA is to Superman's tale, I'm sure you realize that?

Besides, several of the Legion stories gave us further insight into Kal-El's backstory or soul. For example, we know from an old LSH tale that Kal-El would permit others to kill in self-defense, even though he himself d' rather die then take a life.

We can't cram all of it just in one or two entries?
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 07:12:39 PM »

Conisdering Superboy teamed with the LSH dutring the long run in Adventure before they took over huis mag, there's a lot of hisroical goodies in those tales from tomorrow - i.e. The War Between Krypton and Atlantis as told in "The Civil War of the Legion".  

Not to mention Lana Lang, Pete Ross, and Jimmy Olsen being reservists and/or honoraries.

Oh yeah and there's Superboy's cousin too, Supergirl, in plenny o' those yarns....uh...chronicles. Wink
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 01:18:29 PM »

Quote from: "Beyonder"
and, especially,  his infuriating obsession with the Golden Age Supes and the Silver Age Supes being one and the same.

But, oh, it's such an magnificient book! Where has this item been all my live?!

Considering the original intention of The Great Superman Bookwas to be another volume in his series of Super-Hero Encyclopedia's and the general date that the text was written the concept of the Earth-2 Superman wasn't really as accepted as it is today.  Despite several appearences in the Justice League of America and his role in the All-Star Comics series in 1975 the Earth-2 Superman wasn't fleshed out and truly seperated until his feature in Superman Family, where most of the stories featuring that "version" of the character appeared.

(Of course you can't overlook Action Comics #484, but that was published around February or March 0f 1978, right around the time The Great Superman Book was published.)

Also you have to take into consideration that the Earth-2 Superman never worked for the Daily Planet and most of the stories after 1940 had Clark Kent working at that newspaper.  The exact book, issue and year that the change over occured escapes me at the moment, unfortunately.

But you are correct.  This is a great book and hopefully I will get to finish it one of these days.  Curse this having a job and a wife!   Cheesy

BTW, what is this Supermanica Super Monkey mentioned?

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 01:59:16 PM »

Quote from: "MichaelBailey"
BTW, what is this Supermanica Super Monkey mentioned?

Michael, Supermanica wants you!  More information about the Supermanica Project can be found at supermanica.info and right here at the Supermanica Forum.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 10:43:29 PM »

Beyonder, I remember checking this book out at a local library years ago.  Where did you find it?  Brick and mortar store?  Amazon?  eBay?  Do you have a link?  How much did you pay for it?  

I'd like to get this for my personal collection someday, too.  Wink

Thanks!  

Gernot...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L