superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:49:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to deal with the issue of the Multiverse  (Read 17420 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 10:18:38 PM »

Why are you rolling your eyes?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 10:39:10 PM »

Im rolling them because with all the additions beyond 64, we'll have to transcend...and that's a whole lotta work, old bean.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 10:57:38 PM »

Was the term 'Multiverse' ever actually used in the Chronicles? (ie, in the canonical sources)   If not, there shouldn't be an entry for it.

To keep this project from flying out of control, I think we need to limit all information - factual, theoretical, and definitions - to that which was presented in those "canonical sources."  So if you're going to have an entry that defines the Multiverse (assuming such a concept existed and was ever mentioned), you're going to have to eventually site the actual issue references and limit the definition to what they state.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 01:54:10 AM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Im rolling them because with all the additions beyond 64, we'll have to transcend...and that's a whole lotta work, old bean.

I am not that old, I am a Bronze ager Tongue

Was the term 'Multiverse' ever actually used in the Chronicles? (ie, in the canonical sources) If not, there shouldn't be an entry for it.

I haven't a clue. It was used in the Crisis 12 issues series, so it might have been use in those crossover issues, but I don't have them.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 03:27:43 AM »

This page is about the closest I could find:

http://superman.nu/tales2/wife/?page=2

There's a mention of parallel worlds in 'Superboy and the Five Legion Traitors' and a mention of alternate timelines in the issue where Superman's costume gets stolen.  Alternate Earths were also mentioned in that story about Laney(The daughter of Lois Lane and Kal-El) when she accidently exposed herself to a box of Red K.

'Multiverse' seemed limited to Justice Leauge of America, Green Lantern, Flash.  With the 'Wonder Woman: Judegment Day' miniseries being a recent addition at the time.

Earth X was mentioned in the pages of DC Comics Presents.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 03:56:35 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"

To keep this project from flying out of control, I think we need to limit all information - factual, theoretical, and definitions - to that which was presented in those "canonical sources."  So if you're going to have an entry that defines the Multiverse (assuming such a concept existed and was ever mentioned), you're going to have to eventually site the actual issue references and limit the definition to what they state.
S!

Ditto the use of the phrase "some historians believe..."  --can a statement like this be backed with a reference to canonical sources?  If not, it doesn't belong in Supermanica.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Admiral Chew
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 12:41:42 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"

Ditto the use of the phrase "some historians believe..."  --can a statement like this be backed with a reference to canonical sources?  If not, it doesn't belong in Supermanica.

At a ceratin point this nit-picking becomes ridiculous and counter productive.

Fleisher often uses the phrase, "this story is in many respects similar to...." Is that phrase found in the canonical sources?
Admiral Chew
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 01:25:42 PM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"
This page is about the closest I could find:

http://superman.nu/tales2/wife/?page=2

There's a mention of parallel worlds in 'Superboy and the Five Legion Traitors' and a mention of alternate timelines in the issue where Superman's costume gets stolen.  Alternate Earths were also mentioned in that story about Laney(The daughter of Lois Lane and Kal-El) when she accidently exposed herself to a box of Red K.

'Multiverse' seemed limited to Justice Leauge of America, Green Lantern, Flash.  With the 'Wonder Woman: Judegment Day' miniseries being a recent addition at the time.

Earth X was mentioned in the pages of DC Comics Presents.

In Superman #276, Willy Fawcett mentions "fighting the Monster League of Evil across 1953 dimensions of time-and-space," and at the end of the story Superman refers to the "myriad earths that stretch across creation."

So the concept exist. I'll bet my right eye the term multiverse is used in the sources at least once, but who knows if we'll ever find it.

In any event the concept exists in the sources. Perhaps there's a more canonical name for it, but "myriad earths" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L