superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Should DCCP and S Crisis Crossovers be included in the list of canonical sources?  (Voting closed: March 14, 2005, 10:46:35 PM)
Yes - 9 (69.2%)
No - 4 (30.8%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: include DCCP and S Crisis Crossovers?  (Read 19743 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 04:00:37 AM »

Well, we are not Fleisher Wink Besides he was nuts Tongue

I have yet to see any suggestions here that substantially improve on Fleisher in my opinion. Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 05:08:17 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Well, we are not Fleisher Wink Besides he was nuts Tongue

I have yet to see any suggestions here that substantially improve on Fleisher in my opinion. Cheesy

I have, for one thing we are not pretending that the Earth-2 and Earth-1 Superman are the same person like he did.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 08:23:21 AM »

we are not pretending that the Earth-2 and Earth-1 Superman are the same person like he did.

Of course, since for the purposes of his book, the 2 Supermen did not actually meet each other until  1977, and the book deals with information only up to 1964 (and was published, I think only in 1978), he could hardly be said to be "pretending" anything --it wasn't even a question.  

The conception of Earth-2 and all the other Earths, as much as I love them and as much as I'm a fan --and despise Crisis for their destruction, is in many ways a less elegant solution, not to mention confusing to many outsiders (quixotically, the target audience of the encyclopedia), than Fleisher's studied rationales.

And, I would argue, there was quite a bit of divergence even among the various DC writers and editors of different periods about the true extent of the multiverse:  outside of the few instances mentioned by the Schwartz-edited Silver Age books like Flash and the annual JLA crossovers, the hard-and-fast rules of the multiverse were best articulated by fans writing in fanzines --until those fans became comics writers in the 1970s and started dishing out new concepts like Mr. & Mrs Superman (and later in the various DCU handbooks) and, ultimately, Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2005, 03:55:28 PM »

Is this safe to add Earth-Prime and Superboy-Prime now?  Tongue

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2005, 11:44:15 PM »

How about this for a 'Crisis On Infinite Earths' entry?:

Crisis On Infinite Earths. A massive conflict that spanned the Multiverse, engineered by the malevolent entity known as the Anti-Monitor. The Crisis involved a multitude of super-powered beings from several realities, both heroes and villians, among them Superman of Earth One and the Superman of Earth 2. It is also recognised as the conflict in which Supergirl tragically lost her in life, and during which Superman encountered the Superboy of Earth-Prime .

When the Crisis was over, and the Anti-Monitor defeated, only one universe and one reality remained. However, it should be noted that in the immediate aftermath of the Crisis, the history and life of the Superman of Earth One remained intact. However it is doubtless that any event in which he had encountered a being from another reality, such as Kal-L of Earth 2, had been erased from history.

... it's a short entry, covers all bases concerning Superman, and merely draws upon synopsis information from the crossover Crisis issues.

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 09:35:53 AM »

Sounds great to me!  Don't forget to include those citations from the "synopsis information" in the entry. Cheesy

By the way, I'd back Admiral Chew's suggestion to change the Multiverse entry to Infinite Earths, for the sake of continuity --I haven't seen any indication yet that multiverse was ever a proper noun found in the canon.  Maybe in a Marv Wolfman story in the 80s?  If so, I retract.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 10:32:06 PM »

Crisis On Infinite Earths. A massive conflict that spanned the Multiverse, engineered by the malevolent entity known as the Anti-Monitor, who hailed from the Anti-Matter Universe. The Crisis involved a multitude of super-powered beings from several realities, both heroes and villians, among them Superman of Earth-1 and the Superman of Earth 2, all of whom to varying degrees and in various roles sought to prevent the Anti-Monitor from destroying the Multiverse, and later the positive matter universe. It is also recognised as the conflict in which Supergirl tragically lost her in life, and during which Superman encountered the Superboy of Earth-Prime .

When the Crisis was over, and the Anti-Monitor defeated, only one universe and one reality remained. However, it should be noted that in the immediate aftermath of the Crisis, the history and life of the Superman of Earth-1 remained intact. However it is doubtless that any event in which he had encountered a being from another reality, such as Kal-L of Earth-2, had been erased from history. (Based on synopsis information and conjecture from issues ?)

The entry is ready to go up, so can anyone give the list of the Crisis crossover issues?  

BTW, I'd too back the change of 'Multiverse' to 'Infinite Worlds'. Cheesy

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2005, 10:35:11 PM »

Quote from: "Kal's Pal"

The entry is ready to go up, so can anyone give the list of the Crisis crossover issues?

Beppo already posted one somewhere.  It might even be a good idea to read them before writing the entry.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L