superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:58:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Kara Zor-El, Supergirl or Wondergirl?  (Read 5128 times)
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« on: March 13, 2005, 12:12:17 PM »

http://wellredpress.com/Features/Interviews/jephloeb_2_1.htm

Thank you oh so much Jeph Loeb.  You have Wonder Woman kidnap Kara off of US soil in Batman/Superman and now you're going to have Kara look up to the Amazon?

Of the Big Three, Superman is the only one I can still respect.

Batman: War Games, talking the Spectre out of killing the Joker

Wonder Woman: That kidnapping, the entire Themyscria is better to train female  superheroes than anywhere else.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 12:32:52 AM »

I have to admit that Loebs stance that the new Kara looks more up to Wonder Woman than she does Superman bothers me and kinda defeats the concept on some level because afterall, isn't that a character trait that should ideally go to Wonder Girl?

I don't think theres anything inherently 1960's about the idea that Supergirl admires her cousin and wants to be like him. The animated series proved you could do this and still bring to it a modern sensibility.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
GrantZilla
Superman's Pal

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 03:15:37 AM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
I don't think theres anything inherently 1960's about the idea that Supergirl admires her cousin and wants to be like him. The animated series proved you could do this and still bring to it a modern sensibility.

Out of all the Supergirls, Kara In-Ze from STAS was probably the best potrayal of Supergirl. I was a bit disapointed that they didn't use her for the new Supergirl series. Perhaps if this series doesn't work out, someday they will.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 04:15:24 AM »

Quote from: "GrantZilla"

Out of all the Supergirls, Kara In-Ze from STAS was probably the best potrayal of Supergirl. I was a bit disapointed that they didn't use her for the new Supergirl series. Perhaps if this series doesn't work out, someday they will.

Exactly. That's why it just irked me to no end that they slapped Kara In-Zes costume onto Linda/Matrix/Earthangel or whatever the heck she was.  It's like the animated series presents a Supergirl who in effect is Kara but without losing the whole "last son" thing, the perfect compromise on a silver platter and what do they do? They just see the costume and swipe it. UGH!

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 11:57:59 AM »

Exactly. That's why it just irked me to no end that they slapped Kara In-Zes costume onto Linda/Matrix/Earthangel or whatever the heck she was.  It's like the animated series presents a Supergirl who in effect is Kara but without losing the whole "last son" thing, the perfect compromise on a silver platter and what do they do? They just see the costume and swipe it. UGH!

:lol:

GZ and I have gone over this time and time again and have finally decided to agree to disagree (I think).  (And you can bet he probably expected me to sound off on this one  :lol: )

While I thought In-Ze was a better replacement for kara Zor-el than goo-girl or angel-girl, she was still a replacement.  She was, as you noted (and GZ will probably disagree), basically kara Zor-El tweaked to keep that last son thing.

Personal opinion.  Despite whatever may have been intended in the beginning or what Byrnes did during his blasphemy, I hate the Last son thing.

I know that calling it the "Byrnes Blasphemy" might not be the best way to describe how I feel about it...(and is mainly because of how he depicted Kyrpton (puke) )...but consider this:

Nearly EVERYTHING will evolve beyond the parameters of its original creation.  

This Happened with the Superman Legacy.  Rather than cheapen the man of steel, he instead gained a rich history which expanded his storyline beyond his original concept. (a concept, I might add, that was good...FOR IT'S TIME!).

Supergirl...Kara Zor-El...was part of that Legacy.  Rather than being a cheap female version of Superman, she was (or should have been), a colorful addition to the Superman Legacy.

I know ALL the arguments for the Last Son thing....and say what you will, color it how you will...they all boil down to one of two things....it was not the plan of the original creators and/or it cheapens him (though it is never quite clear exactly how it cheapens him....every argument I have heard on THAT one can easily be negated....other kryptonians don't cheapen superman....cheap writers cheapen superman).

Basically, it can be shown that, with good writers, the addition of other kryptonians (and we are not talking about a planet full of them...just enough to be a bit more realistic...where 1 can survive, then it is more likely that some others survived ) can be a treasure trove of GOOD story material.

Of course, it is always pointed out that the inclusion of other Kryptonians allows writers to be lazy.  Incorrect...the writers were lazy to begin with and would have been lazy with or with out the addition of other Kryptonians.

Just my 2 cents

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
GrantZilla
Superman's Pal

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 11:06:44 PM »

Quote from: "Dylan Clearbrook"
GZ and I have gone over this time and time again and have finally decided to agree to disagree (I think).  (And you can bet he probably expected me to sound off on this one  :lol: )

Yes, I agree to disagree. I will say this, I think they should have done a Kara In-Ze Supergirl: The Animated Series. I think had done so, DC would have had a better grasp of how popular that version of Supergirl really is.

They should have started the series off with STAS episode, "Little Lost Girl" as the opener for non STAS viewers to the set-up of the charecter, and then have her do her thing. I know for a fact, if put in proper time slot, would been a huge success.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L