superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:23:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Should material taken from TGSB be marked or highlighted in some way  (Voting closed: March 23, 2005, 03:44:31 PM)
Yes, definately - 1 (50%)
Yes, if we can find a simple and effective way to do it - 0 (0%)
Preferably no, but I won't mind if we do - 0 (0%)
Absolutely not - 1 (50%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we mark the texts taken from TGSB in some way?  (Read 3741 times)
Admiral Chew
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: March 13, 2005, 08:44:31 PM »

After adding the complete entry on the Superman Revenge Squad from TGSB to Supermanica I started adding my own material to the entry.

The first and only thing I've added so far is a description of LL 52. A story that fits into the time from covered in TGSB entry but which is not in their since strories from LL are not covered in that book.

I inserted to entry between paragraphs in TGSB entry where the description should go chronologically.

Here's the thing. Anyone looking at the entry who's familiar with TGSB will recognize it as being from that book. The pargraphs I added will appear to them to therefore be from TGSB. This bothers me because I don't feel I write entries as well as Fleischer did and I don't like doing anything whihch makes him look responsible for my flat prose.

So here's my thought. Should we set off material which comes directly from TGSB book in some way?

Italicize it or offset it perhaps? Could it be made to appear in a different color?

Just a thought. Opinions?
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 08:51:43 PM »

I don't think there's any need.  That's what the history page is for.  I could be mistaken, but I was also under the impression that the whole point of Supermanica is to seemlessly expand and update TGSB.  It's an evolving text, not a granite one.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Admiral Chew
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 01:20:08 AM »

Quote from: "The Starchild"
I don't think there's any need.  That's what the history page is for.  I could be mistaken, but I was also under the impression that the whole point of Supermanica is to seemlessly expand and update TGSB.  It's an evolving text, not a granite one.

I wasn't suggesting that it should be granite. If it was granite my suggestion wouldn't make any sense since ALL of it would by from TGSB.

What I'm suggesting is that perhaps the parts taken from TGSB should be highlighted in some way so what is taken from that book and what is part of the exapansion can be plainly seen.

As it is we're taking material from Fleischer's book without giving him propper credit becuase you cannot tell my looking at the entries what work is his.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 09:44:24 AM »

A lot of contributors have been noting source material in the summary box which is clearly visible in the history.

As it is we're taking material from Fleischer's book without giving him propper credit becuase you cannot tell my looking at the entries what work is his.

Nor can the casual reader tell what entries were entered by anyone else: how to credit them?  We would soon run out of ways to highlight.  I'm all for fetishizing Fleisher but this is where I would draw the line.  There are numerous other places within the project, including the main page, where Fleisher is credited extensively.

See the sticky thread on credits:

http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1335

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Admiral Chew
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 01:00:21 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
A lot of contributors have been noting source material in the summary box which is clearly visible in the history.

Ho do you tell what part of any entry is from the TGSB from the history file?

Nor can the casual reader tell what entries were entered by anyone else: how to credit them?

They know that they're not getting credit when they contribute to this project. Material taken from other sources should be credited.

We would soon run out of ways to highlight.  I'm all for fetishizing Fleisher but this is where I would draw the line.  There are numerous other places within the project, including the main page, where Fleisher is credited extensively.

I'm not sure what "fetishizing Fleischer" means. I just think his work should be credited to him.
[/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L