superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Importance of Dates  (Read 4172 times)
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: March 17, 2005, 12:27:15 PM »

Hey guys, taking into account that 'comics time' is a heck of a lot slower then 'real time', it is really necessary to begin entries with or have sentences like (for example) 'In May 1946, Superman encountered Lex Luthor' or 'In September 1982, Superman battled the Kryptonite Man'. (For instance, in Superman's world, it is impossible for the dates of issues released to be the same dates in Superman's world). If dates are necessary for some sort of term of reference, shouldn't they just be provided in the brackets that also give the issue number, e.g. (Superman No. 866, July 2012, "How Luthor Got His Groove Back!")

Anyhoo, just a thought!

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 02:36:34 PM »

That's just the way and style of entries that are use in The Great Superman Book. So whoever wrote that is just copying from the book or recreating its style.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 04:38:59 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
That's just the way and style of entries that are use in The Great Superman Book.

I figured as much. Ah well, I suppose whatever is one's personal preference in writing up the articles - it's fine!

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 01:05:42 AM »

You don't have to if you do not want to, as long as you list your sources and the year those comics were printed Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 01:45:45 AM »

It does make you think of the difference between comic time and real time --and by extension it makes you think about the ludicrous nature of the Superman universe and the Supermanica itself --kind of fun really.

I think the "Fleisher method" of including dates in the actual plot synopsis is simply a way to break up the monotony of a long entry and the monotony of having every single citation read exactly the same (you get to leave the date out of the parenthetical citation if you mention it in the main text.  It's just a way to shake things up stylistically.  Another method is to introduce a plot synopsis by using the old reliable "In Action Comics #345 ..." gambit.  Not a rigid rule but a useful tool (hey, that rhymes!).

I'm starting to think I must have a sickness of some sort as once upon a time I would have imagined discussing encyclopedia style would be something akin to water-cooler talk around the accounting department. Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 06:47:50 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
water-cooler talk around the accounting department. Cheesy

:gah:  :wink:

Who goes there?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM