superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curt Swan signature  (Read 2579 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: March 22, 2005, 09:29:52 AM »

I may be crazy or just ignorant but I had a delightful surprise last night when re-reading my copy of Action 285 from 1962 (in which Supergirl is revealed to the world by Superman).  I read the great story and then looked at the cover which is by Curt Swan --an iconic image of Superman and Supergirl flying through (I assume) Metropolis and a ticker-tape parade.  I never noticed it before but a sign on one side of the street says "Curtis" and a smaller sign on the other side of the street says "Swan" --spelling out the artist's name.

Is this common knowledge?  I would be interested to know if this semi-sneaky signature is documented anywhere.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
ProfPotter
Supermen of America

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 07:28:01 PM »

I noticed it years ago, when I first started recognizing cover artist styles.  It is one of the rare cases Curt signed anything.

Here is the cover in quesiton (it's a little hard to read in this scan):

Too bad they messed up the cover when they reprinted it in Supergirl Archives 2 (using a redrawn Supergirl head from a reprint).

And here's something else I just ran across: Curt's National Cartoonist Society biography (click for a bigger version):
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 09:10:35 AM »

Thanks Prof!  What other covers are signed from this period?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L