superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:01:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The effect of superman and other superheroes  (Read 3402 times)
Fidelio
Superman Fan

« on: March 27, 2005, 01:25:02 PM »

Hello,

I'm doing research on the effect of superheroes like superman on people. It would be nice to take a look at these questions:

Why do you like superman or superheroes?
What does superman do to you?
Do you sometimes feel like superman?
Are superhoes / Is superman necessary for our society?
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 05:02:07 PM »

>>
<<

Guess I have a hard time imagining why I *wouldn't* like Superman.

For the case of superheroes, they're fun to read about, can serve as "escapist fantasy," and make for interesting stories (some dramatic, some fun, some humorous, and some even thought-provoking).

In Superman's case, I suppose it's what he stands for (high standards, being highly intelligent, his strong sense of altruism, etc.), his standing as the first superhero, and his powers/adventures/cast of characters that put him down for reasons I enjoy the Man of Steel, and what sets him apart from many other heroes (who, in the "stands for" category, may be driven by being heroes out of reasons like guilt, revenge, etc., as entertaining as those heroes may be).

>>
<<

Entertain me? :-)

>>
<<

Of late, I suppose not (not sure Superman would have *this* much trouble finding a new job!).

>>
<<

As long as people enjoy uplifting, bigger-than-life myths and tales of heroism (be it Hercules, John Henry, etc.), I think Superman's good to go in the long run for keeping his iconic status.

Superheroes *themselves*, well, they're entertaining as a whole, but given sales of comics *these* days, I'm not sure if the general public would agree they're as "necessary" unfortunately---at least in the traditional "spandex-wearing" form, vs. in the form of more action-themed conventionally-dressed characters ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Lara Croft," etc.)...

Fidelio
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 10:54:53 PM »

Does anyone have an explanation for the superhero movie hype nowadays?

Could it have something to do with forgetting about 9/11?
VRLowKey
Superman Fan

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 12:33:03 AM »

I read a scholarly-type book a couple of years ago that suggested it's because all movies are moving to become 'B' (as in Budget) movies, like they were in the days of movie serials.  The studios can make more pictures and make more money that way.
On one hand it's better because people who want to make 'good' films don't have to compromise to a mass audience but their work can still be known then seen by the largest number of people by electronic word-of-mouth.
On the other hand now, when a movie is bad (achoo CATWOMAN) it's unredeemably bad.  There aren't any interesting plots or quirks to the characters - it's just stuff you don't want to waste your time with.
Strange Visitor
Superman's Pal

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 08:12:06 PM »

Quote from: "Fidelio"
Does anyone have an explanation for the superhero movie hype nowadays?

I believe the reason is simply that the studios figure they have a guaranteed audience for the movies based on the fans of the comics. That's why they're also doing movies based on old TV shows, remakes of old movies, sequels ad infinitum, etc. It's much easier to target an existing audience based on a previous product than to try to persuade people to view something original.
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 11:06:23 PM »

For me:  Superman is a colorful escape from a World where I feel there's only people hurting people and wanting to step on you for a dollar.

He balances out the World I told you about up there.  BUT - with time he became a hobby.

I did when I was 25 but age changes your priorities.  I don't feel like Superman I feel like a guy who likes Superman as a hobby.

They are necessary as Harry Potter is or Disney films.  Superman is a business.  It might be a good code of conduct for some young people - it was for me.

Not at all - imo.  Superhero movies are a trend - there were serials in the 40s, tv shows in the 60s, in the 70s cheap and high budget movies.  Things got quiet when there were a few flops - Captain America, ect...  It seemed only a handful worked.  Then in the 2000s the technology was availlable to make it more realistic visiually.  I think that somewhere within ten years it'll be down again.  People will have enough of seeing anything possible on the screen (blue screen).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L