superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heads up! The Man of Tomorrow is back...  (Read 6782 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: April 08, 2005, 07:32:40 PM »

I'm not going to give out too much information in the way of spoilers...but the pre-Crisis Superman is currently featured in a storyline in the issues of Superman/Batman. His storyline is resolved iat the end Absolute Power, in Superman/Batman #18 out this month.

The Superman/Batman book is good, and the writer (Loeb) to have a heavy respect for the orginal Superman. So far in the series, they have returned Lex Luthor to being a mad scientists, brought Kara Zor-El back, and now this tribute.

By this summer, the series will be available in 3 hardcovers:

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Superman/Batman: Supergirl
Superman/Batman: Absolute Power

or you can just collect the 18 issues that are already out. (7 isn't featured in the hardcovers, because it isn't that good.)

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 08:13:17 AM »

Superman/Batman #7 is a "one-shot" story featuring Superman and Superboy Conner Kent.  The main outcome is that Superman leaves Krypto in Superboy's custody, since Supes feels that taking responsibility for a super dog would be good for Conner.  (Though in a following issue of Teen Titans Krypto promptly digs up Starfire's garden!)  Since this was a self-contained story and not the multi-issue decompressed epics designed for trade paperback reprints, I doubt it will ever be republished.

Superman/Batman #19 will also be a one-shot, but since Loeb refers to it as "Supergirl #0", I suspect it will be included as a prelude in any collected Supergirl volume.

And yes, Superman/Batman #18 has an appearance by an Adult Legion of Super-Heroes (with their spaceship clubhouse!) plus a closing nod to "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?".  Nice tribute.

DTO
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 03:28:28 PM »

SUPERMAN/BATMAN is one of my favourite comic books on this moment.
Loeb is one of the best Super writers since the eighties, and I'm sorry to know that issue # 21 will be his last Superman story. I'll read his new  Supergirl series, even if I don't like Ian Churchill's art.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 09:51:16 PM »

That's not suppose to be the real Superman aka Pre-Reboot Superman, but the Kingdom Come version.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 10:14:57 PM »

This is true re: S/B and "Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow".

But I think what Loeb was saying during his S/B run was the KC Superman future was going to be the mainstream DCU future -- unless something altered that history, which is what KC Superman was trying to do.

KC Superman's future seemed to end in a disaster where he was the sole survivor on his Earth.

When he finally succeeded in deflecting his own disastrous future, the KC timeline morphed into one resembling Moore's Whatever happened ...

So, I guess Loeb is saying Moore's future is closer to reality now and KC is out of continuity (which it originally wasn't per Elseworlds until the silly The Kingdom).

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 01:27:44 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
That's not suppose to be the real Superman aka Pre-Reboot Superman, but the Kingdom Come version.

I think when this future Superman was introduced, there was something in mind for him, but I don't know if we'll ever find out what it was.  The whole "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" reference reads to me like some random thing they pulled out of their @ss<delete><delete><delete>hat, like most of Loeb's ultra-cool-ideas-from-nowhere that are just tossed in with no rhyme nor reason.  This ending felt a lot like the RTK ending.

For those who don't mind SPOILERS, here's the page in question - the final page of Superman/Batman 18.  If you do mind spoilers, just close your eyes.

For the record, I thought this was fantastic, as was the whole Adult Legion thing.  Kudos, guys, and thanks!

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 02:52:13 PM »

Is this out?  And the followup to the Kings of Earth yarn?

I only bought S/B 13. Sucker for Supergirl covers.....
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 07:42:40 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Is this out?

Came out a week or two ago.  It's the concluding chapter.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L